Moisson Montreal

6880, Ch. De la Cote-de-Liesse
Montreal, QC H4T 2A1
President: Richard Blain
Executive Director: Dany Michaud

Charitable Reg. #: 10374 1757 RR0001
Sector: Social Services - Food Bank (Distributor)
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Impact Rating: Good

Full-time staff #51

Avg. Compensation $48,386

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 4
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Moisson Montreal:

Founded in 1984, Moisson Montreal (MML) is the largest food bank in Canada, providing food aid to people in Montreal. MML collects food donations and distributes food to local charities that feed poor people in Montreal. The charity also runs a food recovery program in which it retrieves excess food supplies from supermarkets. MML has a social and professional integration program for people with disabilities. Under this program, MML gives handicapped people the chance to volunteer for Moisson Montreal along with MML’s employees. MML publishes the Hunger Count report annually. This report gives a breakdown of the food bank’s clients and details the problem of poverty in Montreal.

Moisson Montreal is Canada's largest food bank. In F2015, Moisson Montreal distributed $61m worth of donated food. MML gave away 12.6m kilos of food in 2015 by working with 250 local charities and 293 agro-food suppliers.  The local charities and suppliers fed, on average, 146,000 people every month, giving away 17% more meals than in 2014.

The Hunger Count report classifies age groups and income groups of people visiting food banks. Using this information, Moisson Montreal recommends the government increase minimum wage and affordable housing units. MML reports that, to date, it has saved 8,000 kilos of meat from wastage. It further claims that every $1 donated to Moisson Montreal turns into $18 worth of donated food - by Charity Intelligence's analysis of the audited financial statements we calculate the ratio as every $1 dollar in donations turned to $10 in donated food. 

Financial Review:

Moisson Montreal is one of Canada’s Major 100 charities, which received monetary donations of $6.1m in F2015 along with donated food worth $60.5m in F2015. Administrative costs are 1% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 19% of monetary donations. Total overhead costs come to 20%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. MML has total funding reserves of $5.0m. Excluding the cost of donated food, MML’s funding reserves cover program costs for 1.3 years.

This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated June 21st, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 1.4%1.1%1.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 18.9%3.4%4.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 127.8%152.2%152.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 6,0704,4994,075
Goods in kind 60,50674,37566,818
Other income 197189173
Total revenues 66,77379,06371,066
Program costs 3,8803,4223,513
Grants 60,99474,80364,933
Administrative costs 898837825
Fundraising costs 1,145154171
Cash flow from operations (145)(154)1,624
Funding reserves 4,9595,2105,348
Note: Ci excludes amortization of deferred capital contributions in its revenue calculations.  Ci further excludes gain on disposal of property and equipment from the income statement.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top