United Way Halifax

46 Portland Street, 7th Floor
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 1H4
President & CEO: Sara Napier
Board Chair: John Rogers

Website: www.unitedwayhalifax.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11927 8232 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #26

Avg. Compensation $48,741

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 2
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About United Way Halifax:

Founded in 1925, United Way Halifax (UWH) raises funds to build a strong community and address poverty in the Halifax region. It does so by investing in local charities based on its strategic plans. The charity has 4 strategic objectives: to create opportunities for poor people, strengthen neighbourhoods, promote healthy living standards and improve people's sense of belonging. UWH receives donations mostly from its workplace campaigns. It reports that 1 in every 8 people in Halifax lives in poverty, 1 in 5 is food insecure and 1 in 4 spends more than 30% of income on housing.

In F2015, United Way Halifax allocated $2.1m to local charities and spent $849k on its own programs. It invested $294k on 15 nutrition programs and $177k on 11 programs that promote healthy lifestyles. UWH funded the LGBT Youth Project which promotes healthy eating though cooking and fitness classes for deaf people. It also gave money to Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia to support immigrants in the community and help them gain more skills. UWH organizes the Raise a Hand for Halifax School program, giving out handouts to students and teachers to inform them of prevalent social issues. The charity also funds the 211 helpline, which directs callers to over 4,000 services.

United Way Halifax ran its Living on the Edge program in F2015. The program allows 500 participants to simulate the lives of poor people in Halifax. 99% of the participants reported that they understood the struggles of poor people better.

Financial Review:

United Way Halifax is a Mid-Cap charity with donations of $6.1m in F2015. Administration costs are 13% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 18% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 31%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. United Way Halifax holds $5.4m in funding reserves that can cover its program costs for 1.8 years.

This charity report is an update that has been sent to the charity for review. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 12.8%13.8%12.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 17.7%19.1%18.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 181.8%187.2%161.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 6,0685,6285,716
Investment income 27225255
Other income 123110
Total revenues 6,1085,8835,980
Program costs 849872797
Grants 2,1071,9932,230
Donor-designated donations 1,9381,8371,646
Administrative costs 776781732
Fundraising costs 1,0761,0731,026
Cash flow from operations (638)(671)(451)
Funding reserves 5,3745,3624,897
Note: Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs. Ci added administrative expenses reported in Note 5 to the income statement, increasing expenses by $798k in F2015, $802k in F2014 and $747k in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top