Human Concern International

877 Shefford Road, Unit 4
Ottawa, ON K1J 8H9
Executive Director: Kaleem Akhtar
Board Chair: Tallim Bacchus

Charitable Reg. #: 10749 7125 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Most recent audited financial statements available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #8

Avg. Compensation $48,292

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 3
< $40k 5
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Human Concern International:

Founded in 1980, Human Concern International (HCI) states that it is the oldest Muslim charity in Canada. HCI fights poverty and illiteracy through sustainable projects and emergency relief in over 30 countries across Asia and Africa. It also funds schools, hospitals and child sponsorship programs and carries out Zakat and Qurbani programs for its Muslim donors. HCI reports that 700 million children live without clean water in the world, especially in the slums of Bangladesh, villages of Pakistan and deserts of Africa. It states that the recent Syrian crisis has displaced millions and killed over 300,000 people. HCI focused its efforts on Syria in F2014.

In F2014, Human Concern International allocated $8.1m to its international programs. HCI sent $2.8m to Syria, $1.4m to Somalia, $595k to Pakistan, $565k to India and $267k to Myanmar. It also spent $750k on its Child Sponsorship Program and $21k on education projects in Canada. HCI states that, to date, it has delivered $100m in aid to over 30 countries. Since 2011, it has spent $6m on rehabilitation in disaster hit countries. The charity says that $40 can provide a family with blankets to keep babies warm, $50 can fund staple foods for one family, $100 can give a family core household items and $500 can shelter one family in a tent with blankets.

Financial Review:

Human Concern International is a Big-Cap charity, which received donations of $7.9m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 5% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 9%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. HCI has total funding reserves of $4.9m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 7 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 11th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.2%4.6%3.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 5.2%4.5%4.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 60.3%59.2%70.0%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 7,8897,1957,651
Goods in kind 6232,4482,331
Business activities (net) 252728
Investment income 83203
Other income 003
Total revenues 8,6209,69010,017
Program costs 8,1168,8097,293
Administrative costs 356440373
Fundraising costs 411324335
Cash flow from operations (263)1172,017
Funding reserves 4,8925,2135,101
Note: Ci includes increases in deferred revenues to report donations on a cash-basis, affecting revenues by ($1.9m) in F2014, ($297k) in F2013 and $2.1m in F2012. Ci excluded loss on disposal of capital asset from the income statement.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top