Red Door Family Shelter
Toronto, ON M4M 2R6
Executive Director: Bernnitta Hawkins
Board Chair: Rachel Grinberg
Charitable Reg. #: 11930 3287 RR0001
Grade: B+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Full-time staff #63
Avg. Compensation $49,511
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||0|
|$80k - $120k||3|
|$40k - $80k||7|
About Red Door Family Shelter:
Established in 1982, the Red Door Family Shelter (Formally WoodGreen Red Door Family Shelter) has grown to become one of the largest family shelters in the Greater Toronto Area with 156 beds in two locations. The 156 beds were full 343 days out of 365 in F2015. On any given night, 56% of residents were children. The charity sheltered 289 families in total, including 199 families with single mothers. 106 families were housed after staying at the shelter, including 77 private market rentals and 29 in subsidized housing. 199 families used the charity's food bank at least once a month in F2015 and the charity gave out 170k pounds of food in total. The Red Door Family Shelter has launched a $3m fundraising campaign for the equipment, furnishings and resident services at a new shelter. The charity has raised over $500,000 for the $3m campaign as of F2015.
In F2015, the Red Door Family Shelter's administrative costs were 9% of revenues, while fundraising costs were 28% of donations. Total overhead costs of 37% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $548k, which can cover annual grants and programs for 1 month, indicating a need for funding. The charity is consistently efficient and underfunded.
Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by the Red Door Family Shelter.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending March
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||8.8%||7.0%||6.0%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||27.5%||29.5%||17.5%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||11.4%||7.0%||14.0%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Cash flow from operations||(14)||(254)||358|