A Better World Canada

#103, 5033 52nd Street
Lacombe, AB T4L 2A6
Executive Director: Eric Rajah
Board Chair: Ron Sydenham

Charitable Reg. #:80099 4006 RR0001

STAR RATING

Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

🔓
Unlock Charity Ratings

FINANCIAL TRANSPARENCY

Audited financial statements available only through official request for information from Charities Directorate.

B+

RESULTS REPORTING

Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Low

DEMONSTRATED IMPACT

The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.

NEED FOR FUNDING

Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.

92%

CENTS TO THE CAUSE

For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 92 cents are available for programs.



My anchor

Programs

About A Better World Canada:

A Better World, started in 1990, works in over 15 countries, primarily in eastern Africa, providing clean water, healthcare, education, agriculture, and income generation.

A Better World breaks down its program spending in 2018 as 51% to Education, 39% to Health, 4% to Water, 2% to Agriculture, 2% to Income Generation, and 2% to Canadian Projects.

In 2010, A Better World announced its goal of building 100 classrooms in Afghanistan. In 2018, the Classrooms Project built is 101st classroom, reaching its goal. A current goal for the charity is to establish a feeding program at every A Better World school by 2025. For 2019, it plans to build 30 new classrooms, improving the learning environment for 3,500 students, to build 2 new clinics and perform 80 surgeries for children with disabilities, to install 10 school water catchment systems and drill 5 shallow and 2 deep wells, providing access to clean water for 15,000 people, and to create and maintain 5 school gardens, providing consistent meals for 2,000 students.

My anchor

Results and Impact

All statistics reported by A Better World are since its founding in 1990. Comparing the 2018 and 2017 Annual Reports provides the following annual data for 2018: 5,290 students attending schools built and/or supported, 9,189 people cared for at clinics build and by staff trained, 23,500 people with access to clean water sources, 1,650 people sustained by home and school gardens, 120 permanent jobs created through investments in small businesses.

Charity Intelligence has given A Better World Canada a Low impact rating based on demonstrated impact per dollar spent.

Impact Rating: Low

My anchor

Finances

A Better World had donations of $1.7m in 2018, down 18% from 2017. Its administrative costs are 5% of revenues and fundraising costs are 3% of donations. Total overhead spending of 8% is within Ci’s reasonable range. The charity has $750k in funding reserves that can cover 4.3 months of program costs, indicating a funding need.

Financial Review


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201820172016
Administrative costs as % of revenues 5.2%7.7%7.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 2.6%0.0%0.0%
Total overhead spending 7.7%7.7%7.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 35.8%45.8%47.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201820172016
Donations 1,663,9372,038,3701,882,467
International donations 128,392192,830172,049
Goods in kind 203,141183,4130
Investment income 98600
Other income 7,81800
Total revenues 2,004,2742,414,6132,054,516
Program costs - International 2,071,6532,135,3131,867,357
Program costs - Canada 000
Grants 23,49600
Administrative costs 103,604184,863154,826
Fundraising costs 42,44900
Total spending 2,241,2002,320,1762,022,183
Cash flow from operations (236,928)94,43732,333
Capital spending 000
Funding reserves 750,142978,090891,848

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 1

Avg. Compensation: $38,378

Top 10 staff salary range:

$350k +
0
$300k - $350k
0
$250k - $300k
0
$200k - $250k
0
$160k - $200k
0
$120k - $160k
0
$80k - $120k
0
$40k - $80k
2
< $40k
1

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2018

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Charity Contact

Website: www.abwcanada.ca
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Tel: 403-782-0325

Print