Terre Sans Frontières

399, rue des Conseillers, Door 23
La Prairie, QC J5R 4H6
President: Linda Bambonye
CEO: Jean L. Fortin

Charitable Reg. #:13059 4492 RR0001


Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

Unlock Charity Ratings


Audited financial statements available only through official request for information from Charities Directorate.



Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.



The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.


Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.



For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 87 cents are available for programs.

My anchor


About Terre Sans Frontières:

Founded in 1980, Terre Sans Frontières (TSF) is an international aid and development charity that currently works countries in the southern hemisphere (Mali, Haiti, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Tanzania, Ecuador, Honduras, and Bolivia). International program areas of focus include community development, humanitarian aid, water and sanitation, education, and health. In F2018, international projects made up 97% of total program spending. The remaining 3% was allocated to the local program and Life project. TSF enables local and Canadian professionals to teach and transfer skills to help its partners.

Terre Sans Frontières has six areas of focus in Mali – local development, literacy, health, food security, rural entrepreneurship, and rotating funds. In F2018, TSF built a new literacy centre, three wells, three market gardens, and five manual water pumps. TSF reports that a total of 667 villagers benefitted from development sessions in civic rights, democracy, and administrative management. A literacy campaign took place in 21 villages, at the end of which 394 people passed their exams.

Programs in Haiti focus on the well-being and education of children. Terre Sans Frontières reports that its Maison de l’Avenir Jacqueline-Lessard took 52 children into care in F2018. A malnutrition screening campaign was launched in F2018 for the 250 children at the Laferté-Roy school. Additionally, TSF built a new school which has nine classrooms and can accommodate 250 children.

In the News: March 1, 2019 CBC News reports concerns about Terre Sans Frontières homeopathic treatments for tropical diseases in Honduras. This is a small program of TSF relative to its spending on international programs yet raises valid concerns about evidence, results and impact.

My anchor

Results and Impact

Charity Intelligence has given Terre Sans Frontières a Low impact rating based on demonstrated impact per dollar spent.

Impact Rating: Low

My anchor


Terre Sans Frontières is a ­­­­large charity, with total donations of $12.1m in F2018. Administrative costs are 11% of revenues (excluding investment income) and fundraising costs are 2% of donations. For every dollar donated, 87 cents go to the cause. This is within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending. Net funding reserves of $1.9m can cover two months of annual program costs.

­­This charity report is an update that has been sent to Terre Sans Frontières for review. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 29, 2019 by Lauren Chin.

Financial Review

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending July
Administrative costs as % of revenues 11.1%10.5%8.6%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 1.6%1.9%2.4%
Total overhead spending 12.7%12.4%11.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 17.1%33.1%41.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 12,11210,70411,303
Goods in kind 292315364
Government funding 355366220
Lotteries (net) 225241280
Investment income 232838
Total revenues 13,00711,65412,204
Program costs - International 10,8659,1919,638
Program costs - Canada 510596671
Grants 200
Administrative costs 1,4401,2231,049
Fundraising costs 198199266
Other costs 143139146
Total spending 13,15811,34711,770
Cash flow from operations (152)306434
Funding reserves 1,9463,2444,303

Note: Ci used the CRA T3010 filing to break down program, administrative, and fundraising costs. Ci has calculated lottery revenues net of expenses, affecting revenues and expenses by ($274k) in F2018, ($285k) in F2017, and ($279k) in F2016.

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 15

Avg. Compensation: $65,085

Top 10 staff salary range:

$350k +
$300k - $350k
$250k - $300k
$200k - $250k
$160k - $200k
$120k - $160k
$80k - $120k
$40k - $80k
< $40k

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2018

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Charity Contact

Website: www.terresansfrontieres.ca
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Tel: 1-877-873-2433