BC Cancer Foundation

150 - 686 West Broadway
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1G1
President & CEO: Sarah Roth
Board Chair: Greg D'Avignon

Website: www.bccancerfoundation.com
Charitable Reg. #: 11881 8434 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

donor
endowed
Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #67

Avg. Compensation $87,422

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 1
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 2
$120k - $160k 3
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About BC Cancer Foundation:

Founded in 1967, BC Cancer Foundation (BCCF) is the main fundraising partner of the BC Cancer Agency. Through its funding, BCCF supports cancer research and treatment. It aims to facilitate the entire process from discovery of new cures to treatment using those very cures. In addition to ongoing research, BC Cancer Agency provides extensive cancer care including detection, diagnosis, and support programs. BCCF reports that it is the largest funder of cancer research in British Columbia.

In F2015, BC Cancer Foundation gave a $20m grant to BC Cancer Agency to fund multiple projects. It supported adult survivors of childhood cancer who suffer from severe mental health problems. BCCF continued its funding for the Genome Centre, where over 300 staff uncovered new findings in breast cancer research. The charity worked with the Canadian government to start a $60m research project on immunotherapy, the process of strengthening a patient's immune system to destroy cancer cells.

This past year, BCCF funded life-saving discoveries. The new Personalized Onco-Genomics Program succeeded in curing a person with terminal cancer. A study funded by BCCF found a cure for a rare form of gastric cancer. The study was published in the American Journal of Human Genetics. Furthermore, new drugs that target childhood sarcomas and prostate cancer entered the clinical trials stage in 2014 - 2015.

Financial Review:

BC Cancer Foundation is one of Canada's Major 100 charities as it received donations of $29.2m in F2015. BCCF's administrative costs are 6% of total revenues and its fundraising costs are 34% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 40%, falling above Ci's reasonable range. BCCF has funding reserves of $118.8m of which $49m are donor-endowed. Its total funding reserves can cover programs costs 5.8 times. Excluding donor-endowed funds, funding reserves can cover annual programs costs 3.9 times.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by BC Cancer Foundation. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 1st, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.0%8.4%4.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 34.4%44.7%32.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 584.5%603.4%522.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 29,29218,20127,040
Government funding 5,000013,950
Special events 10,15013,07313,390
Investment income 6,5103,6952,240
Other income 1,2531,3501,366
Total revenues 52,20536,31957,986
Grants 20,32517,67819,156
Administrative costs 2,7172,7372,642
Fundraising costs 13,54713,97213,026
Cash flow from operations 15,6161,93223,162
Funding reserves 118,797106,677100,152
Note: CI reports revenues on a cash basis and thus excludes fair value adjustment on assets, decreasing revenues by ($0.2m) in F2015, $4m in F2014 and $3m in F2013. CI has also shifted community awareness expenses into fundraising costs, increasing fundraising costs by $1.4m in F2015, $1.4m in F2014 and $1.6m in F2013.  CI reports amortization separately as a non-cash expense and has shifted amortization expenses from fundraising and administrative costs to non-cash expenses.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top