Humanity First Canada
Concord, ON L4K 4A3
Board Chair: Syed Daud
Director: Lal K Malik
Charitable Reg. #: 87254 1040 RR0001
Grade: C+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to the Cause
Full-time staff #0
Avg. Compensation $0
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||0|
|$80k - $120k||0|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Humanity First Canada:
Founded in 1995, Humanity First Canada (HFC) is the Canadian arm of Humanity First (HF), an international aid charity registered in 52 countries. HFC’s mission is to run focused and results-oriented development programs that promote and seek to build stronger communities where people are engaged in helping those in need. The charity outlines four main themes that its programs follow: Poverty Reduction, Disaster Relief, Education & Training, and Canada Cares. HFC runs both Canadian and International programs. In F2015, International programs made up 63% of total program costs, and Canadian programs made up the remaining 37%.
Disaster response is Humanity First Canada’s largest international program, making up 25% of total program costs in F2015. Other international programs include Food Security (10% of total program costs), Healthcare, (9% of total program costs), Knowledge for Life (9% of program costs), and Orphan Care (5% of total program costs). Based on the most recent global Humanity First annual report, Humanity First Canada contributed to helping over 1.1 million people worldwide in 2016. Disaster Response activities for the year included responding to the USA Flint water crisis, the Syria crisis, Cyclone Winston in Fiji, earthquakes in Gorizia, Japan, Ecuador, and Indonesia, the Fort McMurray wildfires, the conflict in Nigeria, Hurricane Matthew in Haiti, and floods in Germany and Bihar. HF’s Food Security activities in the Americas, Europe, West Africa, East Africa & the Middle East, and South Asia reached 263,076 people in 2016 through programs such as food banks, emergency food packs, agriculture training, and gardening projects. International Healthcare programming reached 54,010 people in the Americas, West Africa and South Asia in 2016. HF supported five hospitals during the year. HF’s Knowledge for Life program, which provides training and education services, reached 68,117 people in 2016 across 22 Humanity First schools and 28 Humanity First Training Centres. The international Orphan Care program, which gives orphans free education and training, and either subsidized or free healthcare services, helped 1,767 orphans in eight countries in 2016.
Humanity First Canada’s main Canadian program is its Food Bank, which made up 26% of total program costs in F2015. Based on HFC’s most recent 2013 annual report, 1,400 families are registered with the food bank, and the charity ran 30 food drives during the year. Other Canadian programs include the Refugee/Immigration Resettlement program, which made up 5% of total program costs for the year. Through this program, Humanity First Canada privately sponsors refugees and helps them resettle in Canada.
The following financial analysis reflects the most recent financial information Ci has for Humanity First Canada after making a formal request for audited financial statements from the CRA.
Humanity First Canada is a medium-sized charity with total donations of $1.4m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of revenues and fundraising costs are 5% of donations. Per dollar donated to the charity, $0.91 goes towards its programs, which falls within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending. Funding reserves of $2.3m can cover annual program costs for 2.9 years.
The charity reports no full-time staff and two part-time employees in its most recent F2015 T3010 CRA filing.
This charity report is a new profile that is currently being reviewed by Humanity First. Comments and edits may be forthcoming.
Created on August 11, 2017 by Katie Khodawandi.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending December
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||3.9%||6.5%||5.0%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||4.7%||4.9%||4.7%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||291.3%||320.2%||274.9%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $s
|Program costs - International||495,277||338,506||227,202|
|Program costs - Canada||293,184||181,765||250,855|
|Cash flow from operations||654,854||352,373||377,511|