Kelowna General Hospital Foundation

2268 Pandosy Street
Kelowna, BC V1Y 1T2
CEO: Doug Rankmore
Board Chair: Wesley Shields

Charitable Reg. #:11897 8733 RR0001

STAR RATING

Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

🔓
Unlock Charity Ratings

✔+

FINANCIAL TRANSPARENCY

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity’s website.

C

RESULTS REPORTING

Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

n/r

DEMONSTRATED IMPACT

The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.

NEED FOR FUNDING

Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.

79%

CENTS TO THE CAUSE

For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 79 cents are available for programs.



My anchor

Programs

About Kelowna General Hospital Foundation:

Founded in 1978, Kelowna General Hospital Foundation (KGH Foundation) raises money for Kelowna General Hospital (KGH). It funds equipment purchases and patient care improvements needed by the hospital thatare not covered by government funding. Kelowna General Hospital receives 227 emergency visits and 63 inpatient cases a day, on average. 

Kelowna General Hospital Foundation’s most recent annual report is for F2019. KGH Foundation disbursed $3.1 million in grants, along with $78k in grants that were deferred in previous years. 87% of grants went to Interior Health, the regional health authority that serves BC’s southern Interior region. Kelowna General Hospital is one of the 46 hospitals and health centres run by Interior Health. The remaining 13% of grants went to Canadian Mental Health Association, Central Okanagan Bursary and Scholarship Society, Central Okanagan Association for Cardiac Health, and Central Okanagan Foundation.

In F2019, KGH Foundation spent $1.1 million on equipment purchases. Major items included an infant warmer and resuscitation system for KGH's emergency department, a photosynthesis bili-blanket (to treat newborn jaundice) for the NICU, and pulmonary equipment for the cardiology department. Be a Lifesaver campaign spending of $614k went toward multiple items for the Interior Heart and Surgical Centre at KGH, including equipment for a hybrid operating room. KGH Foundation spent $352k on patient care, including Holter monitors and iPads for KGH's cardiology department, pressure mattresses for Kelowna Hospice House, BIPAP and CPAP ventilators for KGH’s respiratory department, and a sound system for Brookhaven Care Centre (seniors' home). Foundry Kelowna capital campaign spending of $308k funded two new positions at the Foundry Kelowna centre for mental health and drug use. Right Here at KGH campaign spending of $258k purchased anesthesia equipment, an electrophysiology imaging system, and other items for a new electrophysiology lab expected to open in KGH in June 2020. The remaining $494k in grants went toward the Giving Giggles campaign, medical conferences, bursaries and scholarships, and gifts in kind.

JoeAnna’s House provides affordable short-term accommodations for families of patients who must travel to receive treatment at Kelowna General Hospital. The House enables family members to remain close to their loved ones during treatment. It is located beside the hospital and has 20 guest rooms for families to stay. KGH Foundation announced an $8 million fundraising campaign goal to build JoeAnna’s House in October 2017. The campaign ended up raising $10 million and the House officially opened in November 2019. F2020 program spending of $315k represents the House’s operating expenses for the year.

My anchor

Results and Impact

In 2017, Kelowna General Hospital Foundation fundraised $175k to build a fifth gastrointestinal (GI) operating room at KGH in response to increasing wait times and emotional distress caused to patients waiting for procedures. At its peak, the waitlist was at 5,439 patients with an expected wait time of 28 weeks. The GI operating room opened in September 2017 and allows 2,400 more procedures to be performed each year. Doctors at KGH report that the patient waitlist for GI procedures has dropped from over 5,000 to 1,500 because of the new operating room.

Also in 2017, Interior Health informed KGH Foundation of a need for echocardiogram testing in the cardiology department at KGH. Echocardiograms are used to diagnose heart disorders. KGH Foundation purchased two new cardiovascular ultrasound machines to conduct these tests, and reports that the cardiology department eliminated the wait list for echocardiograms within three months of receiving the new equipment.

My anchor

Finances

Kelowna General Hospital Foundation is a large charity that received $10.9m in donations and special events fundraising in F2020. KGH Foundation’s audited financial statements do not allocate salaries and benefits to fundraising and administrative costs. Administrative and fundraising costs are 21% of total revenue (excluding investment income). Per dollar donated to KGH Foundation, 79 cents go to the cause. This is within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending.

Ci notes that the Foundation’s most recent F2019 T3010 filing likely reports administrative and fundraising costs with appropriate allocations of salaries and benefits. The most recent F2019 T3010 filing reports administrative costs of $815k and fundraising costs of $1.5m. By these figures, administrative costs were 8% of total revenue and fundraising costs were 17% of donations and special events, meaning total overhead spending was 25%. Per dollar donated to KGH Foundaion, 75 cents went to the cause.

KGH Foundation's F2019 annual report states that its 'cost to raise a dollar' is $0.19, which is measured through an international benchmarking program, places it in the 74th percentile for a hospital system. 

KGH Foundation’s most recent F2019 T3010 filing also discloses five grant recipients of its $3.1m in grant disbursements for the year: $2.7m went to Interior Health, $294k to CMHA, $25k to Central Okanagan Bursary and Scholarship Society, $11k to Central Okanagan Association for Cardiac Health, and $5k to Central Okanagan Foundation.

Kelowna General Hospital Foundation has $40.0m in funding reserves. This includes $15.0m in donor endowments. Excluding donor-endowed funds, the foundation’s reserves can cover annual grants at the current level for nine years.

This report is an update that has been sent to Kelowna General Hospital Foundation for review. Comments and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 25, 2020 by Katie Khodawandi.

Financial Review


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
202020192018
Fundraising & admin costs as % of revenues 20.7%25.4%18.9%
Total overhead spending 20.7%25.4%18.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 900.9%969.2%807.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
202020192018
Donations 9,9378,1509,570
Goods in kind 931030
Fees for service 4000
Business activities (net) 1,2081,2511,162
Special events 982859552
Investment income (906)1,0551,084
Total revenues 11,35411,41812,369
Program costs 31500
Grants 3,2113,2233,200
Fundraising & administrative costs 2,5352,6332,135
Total spending 6,0625,8565,335
Cash flow from operations 5,2925,5637,034
Capital spending 3,3441,82950
Funding reserves 40,02838,86934,556

Note: Ci reports business enterprise profits net of expense and unwinds non-cash amortization, affecting total revenue by $15k in F2020, $20k in F2019 and $31k in F2018. JoeAnna’s House fees are reported in fees for service and expenses are reported in program costs, excluding non-cash amortization of $81k in F2020. Ci did not use the charity’s T3010 filings with the CRA Charities Directorate for overhead spending figures because the F2020 filing was not available at the time of this profile update, and the F2018 T3010 filing did not reconcile with the audited financial statements (a $258k difference).

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 15

Avg. Compensation: $85,468

Top 10 staff salary range:

$350k +
0
$300k - $350k
0
$250k - $300k
0
$200k - $250k
0
$160k - $200k
1
$120k - $160k
1
$80k - $120k
5
$40k - $80k
3
< $40k
0

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2019

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Charity Contact

Website: www.kghfoundation.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Tel: 250-862-4438

Print