BC Children's Hospital Foundation

938 West 28th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 4H4
President & CEO: Teri Nicholas
Board Chair: David Podmore

Website: www.bcchf.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11885 2433 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

donor
endowed
Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #86

Avg. Compensation $105,441

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 1
$300k - $350k 2
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 2
$160k - $200k 5
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About BC Children's Hospital Foundation:

Founded in 1982, BC Children's Hospital Foundation (BCCHF) raises funds to support and enhance the delivery of paediatric care in British Columbia. The Foundation provides funding to BC Children's Hospital, Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children, and the Child & Family Research Institute. BC Children's Hospital Foundation supports these 3 facilities on childhood disease research, medical equipment purchases, and a range of children's health education and training programs.

In F2015, BC Children's Hospital Foundation gave 99% of grants to Children's and Women's Health Centre of British Columbia, which is part of BC Children's Hospital. The other 1% of grants was given to Sunny Hill Foundation for Children.

Financial Review:

In F2015, BC Children's Hospital Foundation's administrative costs were 8% of revenues, up from 7% in F2014. Fundraising costs were 24% of donations in F2015, up from 22% in F2014. BC Children's Hospital Foundation has funding reserves of $356m, including donor-endowed funds of $85m. This funding reserve can cover annual grants and programs for 6.4 years or 5.0 years if excluding donor-endowed funds.

Updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016. Currently under review by BC Children's Hospital Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.3%7.4%6.6%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 23.7%21.8%21.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 635.4%504.9%474.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 54,36156,94959,930
Goods in kind 646466829
Lotteries (net) 6,7916,4885,273
Investment income 17,04312,12412,207
Total revenues 78,84176,02778,239
Grants 56,06563,56557,590
Administrative costs 5,1014,7214,352
Fundraising costs 12,87312,41012,581
Cash flow from operations 4,802(4,669)3,716
Funding reserves 356,260320,942273,220
Note: Ci disclosed donated goods-in-kind separately, reducing donations by $646k in F2015, $466k in F2014, and $829k in F2013. Ci reported net lotteries, reducing total revenues and expenses by $15.5m in F2015, $15.1m in F2014, and $14.3m in F2013. Ci did not include loss on sale of capital assets, reducing expenses by $12k in F2014 and $119k in F2013. Ci removed amortization expense of $13k in F2015, $33k in F2014, and $68k in F2013 from administrative costs.  

Comments added by the Charity:

The charity has provided these comments for a previous version. Updated comments may be provided shortly.

Program Cost Coverage Ratio:

The foundation believes that program cost coverage should not include assets held in endowments since these funds are to be held in perpetuity for a specific purpose as designated by the original donor. The foundation also believes the amount included in program cost coverage should be further reduced by the amount of current liabilities. This would provide a more accurate reflection of funds available to cover program costs.

 

Go to top