You may also like:
Doctors Without Borders
Medical aid where it is needed most. Independent. Neutral. Impartial.
International Aid
Toronto, ON
Seva Canada
Giving the gift of sight
International Aid
Vancouver, BC
Canadian Physicians for Aid and Relief
Working in partnership with vulnerable communities and diverse organizations to overcome poverty and build healthy communities in Africa
International Aid
Toronto, ON

Mercy Ships Canada

Unit 5 - 3318 Oak Street
Victoria, BC V8X 1R1
National Director: Tim Maloney
Board Chair: Marilyn Collette

Charitable Reg. #: 89064 8249 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Most recent audited financial statements available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #6

Avg. Compensation $54,746

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 3
< $40k 2
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Mercy Ships Canada:

Founded in 1978, Mercy Ships Canada (MSC) raises funds in Canada to provide health care and surgeries to poor people in developing countries, notably in Africa. MSC operates a ship, called the Africa Mercy, which goes from country to country. The ship contains full hospital facilities, in which doctors can perform surgeries. Africa Mercy is 152 metres long, contains 5 operating theatres and an 82-bed ward. The charity estimates that 85% of children in developing countries need treatment for a condition before they turn 15. Further, 69% of the people in Sub-Saharan nations live with daily incomes of less than $2.

In F2015, Mercy Ships Canada spent $2.2m on its programs. MSC arranged 288 health care education programs and served 3,779 patients in Congo. It conducted 124 such programs and treated 899 patients in Madagascar. In F2015, it carried out over 16,000 surgeries in Sub-Saharan nations, including maxillofacial, plastic and general surgeries. MSC also provided mental health services and eye care facilities. To date, Mercy Ships Canada has visited 581 ports and reached 2.58 million people with its programs.

Financial Review:

Mercy Ships Canada is a Mid-Cap charity, which received donations of $3.3m in F2015, including contributed services worth $1.3m. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 20% of monetary donations. Total overhead costs come to 24%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. MSC has total funding reserves of $1.3m that can cover the charity’s annual program costs for 7 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated July 4th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.0%3.2%3.3%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.1%22.6%22.8%
Program cost coverage (%) 59.0%26.3%25.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 2,008,1141,393,1471,191,113
Goods in kind 1,320,4351,025,978879,572
Fees for service 77,02596,266199,498
Investment income (3,642)1,2440
Other income 2,5937,21421,226
Total revenues 3,404,5252,523,8492,291,409
Program costs 2,210,9251,935,5601,775,066
Grants 56,00047,0000
Administrative costs 136,39779,80474,802
Fundraising costs 403,943315,341271,927
Cash flow from operations 597,260146,144169,614
Funding reserves 1,338,057522,193448,303
Note: Ci included unrealized gains on investments in its revenue calculations, affecting revenues by ($4k) in F2015, $1k in F2014 and nil in F2013. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top