Cancer Research Society

402 - 625 President-Kennedy Avenue
Montreal , QC H3A 3S5
President & CEO: Andy Chabot
Board Chair: Domenic Pilla

Charitable Reg. #: 11915 3229 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #22

Avg. Compensation $71,877

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 5
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Cancer Research Society:

Founded in 1945, the Cancer Research Society (CRS) focuses on funding research on prevention, detection and treatment of the many forms of cancer. CRS supports research into the basic causes of the disease as well as the mechanisms behind the development of cancer cells. Since 2006, the charity has been focussing on elements in the environment and lifestyles that increase the risk of getting cancer.

In F2015, CRS spent $12.6m on 157 research projects. CRS has many review committees that oversee allocation of funds based on a scientific score. The committee approved grants to over 100 different research teams. The Cancer Research Society also supports new scientists as part of its Next Generation of Scientists program. The charity states that emigration of highly skilled scientists to the US has been hurting scientific development in Canada. Thus, the Next Generation of Scientists program aims to retain new scientists and attract ones from abroad.

In the past year, researchers made prominent discoveries. These discoveries include a new treatment method for colorectal cancer, exploration of a new gene for breast cancer and advanced studies on ovarian cancer. CRS reports that survival rates for chronic leukemia have increased from 50% to 90%, thanks in part to its ongoing research.

Financial Review:

Cancer Research Society is one of Canada's Major 100 charities. It received donations of $22m in F2015. Administrative costs are 8% of revenues and fundraising costs are 27% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 35%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. CRS has total funding reserves of $31.6m that can cover 2.5 years of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Cancer Research Society. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 3rd, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending August
Administrative costs as % of revenues 7.7%8.9%8.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 26.9%29.8%35.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 250.6%259.7%239.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 22,01819,08018,025
Investment income 2,2243,3752,149
Total revenues 24,24222,45520,174
Grants 12,61710,6199,760
Administrative costs 1,7031,6921,591
Fundraising costs 5,9315,6816,345
Cash flow from operations 3,9914,4632,478
Funding reserves 31,61927,58223,395
Note: Ci has shifted administrative expenses from grants allocated to report administrative expenses separately, increasing administrative expenses (decreasing grants allocated) by $309k in F2015, $269k in F2014 and $336k in F2013.   

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top