You may also like:
KidSport Calgary
So all kids can play
Sports & Recreation
Calgary, AB

MLSE Foundation

50 Bay Street, Suite 500
Toronto, ON M5J 2L2
Executive Director: Michael Bartlett
Board Chair: Aris Kaplanis

Charitable Reg. #: 89611 4048 RR0001
Sector: Social Services - Youth
Public Foundation

Donor Accountability

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #8

Avg. Compensation $74,789

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2013

About MLSE Foundation:

Established in December 2009,  Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE) Foundation supports the refurbishment of local athletic facilities and funds charities that support sports and recreational programs for kids. Since its establishment, the foundation has invested more than $24 million in Ontario's charities. In F2015, the foundation granted $3.7m to Ontario's charities.

In F2015, the foundation highlighted its support in the following charities: Autism Ontario Kids Camp,  Toronto Lords Basketball Program, The Mentoring For Violence Prevention (MVP) Program,  Play It Smart, and  Malvern Family Resource Centre.

The charity is supported by all four MLSE teams – the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Raptors, Toronto FC and Toronto Marlies.  The foundation's signature program "Give-a-Kid-a-Game" is a  ticket donation program and allows kids  to experience the excitement of sporting events.  In F2015, the charity spent $58k on "Give-a-Kid-a-Game".

Financial Review:

In F2015, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Foundation spent 1% of revenues on administrative costs and 29% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 30% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $2.3m, which can cover annual programs for 7 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  MLSE Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
Administrative costs as % of revenues 1.1%1.0%3.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 28.8%37.3%36.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 58.4%46.6%47.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 1,9641,9471,577
Goods in kind 264579494
Lotteries (net) 1,113742543
Special events 2,7022,3761,823
Investment income 1298
Total revenues 6,0555,6534,446
Program costs 266517738
Grants 3,6833,2562,116
Administrative costs 6757171
Fundraising costs 1,3441,6141,226
Cash flow from operations 696208195
Funding reserves 2,3051,7581,348
Note: Ci deducted lottery expense from lottery income, lowering total revenue and total costs by $434k in F2015, $1.2m in F2014, and $756k in F2013.  The charity's F2015 and F2014 T3010 filing did not report the number of full-time staff and compensation information is based on the charity's F2013 T3010 filing.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top