Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada

620 Colborne St. - Suite 301
London, ON N6B 3R9
CEO: Susan Marshall
Board Chair: Rosemary Cashman

Website: www.braintumour.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11881 6339 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Most recent audited financial statements available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #20

Avg. Compensation $66,477

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 9
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada:

Founded in 1982, Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada (BTFC) funds programs and services to support and educate people with brain tumours and gives money to researchers working on finding cures for this disease. BTFC states that 27 Canadians are diagnosed with brain tumour every day. It estimates that 55,000 Canadians have brain tumours, with over 120 different types of brain tumour diagnosed.

In F2015, Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada spent $1.7m on patient support and education, and allocated $412k to research. BTFC offered patient handbooks and online information services. It reports that it educated 589 people on brain tumours, supported 1,250 patients by email and phone, and arranged social activities for 272 patients and survivors. In F2014, BTFC funded 17 research projects, including a new research study on tumours in children.

Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada claims to have made significant advances in brain tumour research. In F2014, Dr. James Rutka successfully tested a drug to block cancerous cell growth. Dr. Michael Taylor was the first to discover that medulloblastoma was a combination of four types of brain tumour instead of one unique brain tumour. This discovery by Dr. Taylor led to advancements in medulloblastoma treatments.

Financial Review:

Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada is a Small-Cap charity as it received donations and special event revenue of $2.6m in F2015. Administrative costs are 5% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 29% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 34%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. BTFC has funding reserves of $2.5m that can cover program costs for 1.2 years. Excluding donor-endowed funds, funding reserves can cover program costs for 1.1 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 28th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.6%6.0%3.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 28.9%26.3%20.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 118.3%102.2%149.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 642,696724,333966,635
Special events 1,964,4781,819,2812,216,114
Investment income 95,243147,597113,306
Other income 51,56628,86228,733
Total revenues 2,753,9832,720,0733,324,788
Program costs 2,137,6562,782,5611,921,750
Administrative costs 122,921153,322121,068
Fundraising costs 754,029668,816651,100
Cash flow from operations (260,623)(884,626)630,870
Funding reserves 2,528,1602,843,4612,872,092

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top