World Renew

3475 Mainway STN LCD 1
Burlington, ON L7R 3Y8
Director: Ida Kaastra-Mutolgo
President: John DeGroot

Website: www.worldrenew.net
Charitable Reg. #: 11885 7366 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #40

Avg. Compensation $79,575

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 9
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About World Renew :

Founded in 1962, World Renew (WR) is a Christianity-inspired charity that works in developing countries to strengthen communities, arrange food, health and education programs and respond to disasters. It also advocates for women's rights and justice for minorities and refugees. WR reports that 1.2 billion people in the world live on a dollar a day, with 795 million of them experiencing health problems. 3 million children die every year. To address these social issues, World Renew works in 3755 communities across 35 countries, including Cambodia, Ethiopia, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Lebanon, Malawi and Nepal.

In F2015, World Renew spent $23.2m on its international programs and $694k on domestic programs. WR gave $7.7m to Canadian Food Grains Bank Association, which provides food to poor people in 39 countries. The charity partnered with local staff and clinics to train 480 volunteers to conduct home visits and educate families on health and sanitation. WR supported 223 North American churches that were involved in justice activities like immigration, climate change and refugee policies. World Renew received a five-year $14m government grant to expand agriculture programs in Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania. The grant has already helped 120,000 farmers.

World Renew reports that it has helped 156 refugees, including 71 Iraqi and 40 Syrian refugees, to resettle in Canada. To date, WR claims to have transformed 838,298 lives through its development efforts.

Financial Review:

World Renew is a Big-Cap charity, which received donations of $16m in F2015 along with government funding of $7.5m. Administrative costs are 5% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 9% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 14%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. WR has total funding reserves of $9.3m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 5 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 20th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.9%4.3%4.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 9.2%6.0%7.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 39.0%73.6%44.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 15,96320,18312,533
Government funding 7,4696,3199,434
Investment income 20325887
Total revenues 23,63526,76022,054
Program costs - International 23,18720,12422,798
Program costs - Canada 694575556
Administrative costs 1,1441,137920
Fundraising costs 1,4621,209991
Cash flow from operations (2,852)3,714(3,212)
Funding reserves 9,31715,22410,328
Note: Ci removed amortization from program costs. Ci includes increases in deferred revenues in its revenue calculations, affecting revenues by ($1.2m) in F2015, $6.1m in F2014 and ($3.5m) in F2013.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top