Shelterbox Canada

159 Jane Street, Office 2
Toronto, ON M6S 3Y8
Executive Director: Stephanie Christensen
Board Chair: Kent Fraser

Website: www.shelterboxcanada.org
Charitable Reg. #: 84628 3208 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #2

Avg. Compensation $47,198

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 2
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Shelterbox Canada:

ShelterBox Canada (SBC) is the Canadian affiliate of ShelterBox Trust, an international charity based in the United Kingdom that provides disaster relief. It provides shelter, warmth and basic supplies to support the communities affected by disasters. The Canadian branch is mainly responsible for raising funds for the UK-based charity and creating awareness of the disasters. When a disaster strikes, ShelterBox sends teams to work with local and international authorities to provide immediate relief.

The boxes distributed by the teams contain basic supplies like tents, cooking supplies and blankets. SBC can customize each box according to the needs of the people. SBC has assisted in providing relief efforts to many countries, including Philippines, Mexico and Nepal. To date, it has responded to 285 disasters in over 100 countries.

Financial Review:

In F2015, ShelterBox Canada received $1.4m in donations, making it a medium-sized charity. It tripled its annual donations from 2013 to 2015 by fundraising efforts. Administrative costs are 3% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 3% of total donations. Total overhead costs are 6%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. Total overhead costs are down from 13% in 2013. ShelterBox Canada has total reserves of $1.4m. These funds can cover its program costs for 1.9 years. In 2013, it had total reserves of $0.3 million that could only cover 5 months of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by ShelterBox Canada. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 17th,2016 by Mirza Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.4%2.5%8.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 2.5%2.7%5.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 189.7%58.6%40.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 1,413,8781,846,759591,263
Investment income 7,4446,197(740)
Total revenues 1,421,3221,852,956590,523
Program costs 715,0711,245,979686,899
Administrative costs 48,46646,58247,435
Fundraising costs 35,29349,38829,970
Cash flow from operations 622,492511,007(173,781)
Funding reserves 1,356,232729,738281,226
Note: Charity Intelligence adds all unrealized gains (losses) to investment income, increasing revenues by ($35k) in F2015, $289k in F2014 and ($740k) in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

ShelterBox Canada operates under the terms of a Distribution Agreement with ShelterBox Trust (UK) that leverages their expertise for the delivery and distribution of aid. Under this agreement ShelterBox Canada retains control and direction of funds in accordance with CRA requirements for Canadian charities conducting activities outside of Canada. Funds restricted for the purchase and distribution of ShelterBox aid are paid to ShelterBox Trust once distribution of aid has been confirmed

ShelterBox also receives unrestricted donations and operating grants which can be applied to the organization's fundraising, marketing, administrative, or mission activities. At the end of FY 2015 the audited statement reports on the balance sheet Restricted net assets an amount of $1,023,936 which are restricted and held for purchase and distribution of ShelterBoxes in the following fiscal year. This holding of funds for the purchase of ShelterBoxes in the next fiscal year results in the percentage spent on program activity appearing low and expenses high in the current fiscal year. ShelterBox Canada has an operating reserve of $100,000.  

Our expense ratio may be higher in years without major headline disasters, but we are committed to achieving a rolling three year average expense ration of 15%.

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top