Operation Smile

7030 Woodbine Avenue, Suite 500
Markham, ON L3P3J7
President: Dr. Kenneth Wilson
Treasurer: Lori Tymchyk

Website: www.operationsmile.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 84064 3605 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #3

Avg. Compensation $76,647

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Operation Smile:

Operation Smile Canada Foundation (OSCF) is the Canadian member of the global Operation Smile Inc. that began in 1982. Its vision is to allow all children to live with dignity. OSCF raises funds in Canada. All its grants of $6.2m go to Operation Smile Inc., its parent charity in the US. Operation Smile Inc. conducts health care examinations and does surgery repairs on children with facial deformities in developing countries. Operation Smile Inc. has 37 centres around the world. Donations to OSCF, the Canadian charity, also funds medical training, education and awareness programs.

Operation Smile Canada reports that 1 in 700 children will have facial deformities. Operation Smile doctors go on regular missions to many developing countries. In a typical mission, 60 doctors and medical professionals perform 100 surgeries. To date, Operation Smile has done 220,000 surgeries.

Operation Smile states that its training sessions helped 85% of the trainees to save a life with new-found knowledge. Operation Smile also claims that a donor's gift multiplies 11 times in impact. No data is given for the impact multiplier.

Financial Review:

Operation Smile Canada is a Big-Cap charity, receiving donations of $7.6m in F2015. Administrative costs are 3% of revenues and fundraising costs are 64% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 67%, well above Ci's reasonable range. OSCF received $3.8m from its US parent to pay for fundraising costs (as discussed in the charity comment below) and OSCF remits to the US parent $6.2m in grants. OSCF has total funding reserves of $485k, which can cover its annual program costs for less than a month.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Operation Smile Canada Foundation. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.2%4.9%5.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 63.8%70.9%71.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 7.9%15.5%20.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 7,6386,6034,998
Other income 3,8273,8743,098
Total revenues 11,46510,4788,096
Grants 6,1655,3023,998
Administrative costs 366508476
Fundraising costs 4,8724,6833,573
Cash flow from operations 63(16)49
Funding reserves 485822808

Comments added by the Charity:

Operation Smile Canada Foundation has noted a number of discrepancies with the information posted on this page.

For clarity, OSCF received $7,638,290 donations from Canadians in FY2015, with $6,164,752 (80.7%) going towards our programs. And the revenue (other income) of $3,827,141 was specifically given and used to pay down the total fundraising expenses of $4,871,688 leaving $1,044,547 of fundraising costs covered by donations and admin costs of $365,887 (13.7% and 4.8% respectively out of donations from Canadians). The surplus of $63,104 was 0.8% totaling 100% of the spending of Canadian dollars.

For accurate financial content, please visit our website www.operationsmile.ca. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at ca-supporters@operationsmile.org or call 905-479-6861.

Go to top