Montreal, QC H2V 3T2
Executive Director: Norman MacIsaac
Board Chair: Andre Dostie
Charitable Reg. #: 11892 3689 RR0001
Social Results Reporting
Grade: B+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Program Cost Coverage
Full-time staff #26
Avg. Compensation $70,034
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||3|
|$40k - $80k||6|
About L’Ouvre Léger:
The Jules and Paul-Emile Leger Foundation originally formed in 1981 and later joined forces with its divisions in 2008 to form L'Ouvre Léger (LEGER). LEGER raises funds to finance projects in Quebec, Africa, Asia and Latin America that help people living in hunger and poverty or reduce social exclusion of marginalized people. As such, LEGER divides the projects it funds into two major program areas: food security and social inclusion. LEGER splits its program spending into Canadian and International activities – in F2015, international programs were 77% of program costs and Quebec programs were the remaining 23%.
L'Ouvre Léger funded 55 food security projects in Quebec in 2015, improving the lives of 42,238 people. In Latin America, 6 food security projects received funding in Bolivia, Peru and Haiti. In Asia, 1 food security project received funding in India. In Africa, 9 food security projects received funding in Burkina Faso, Mali, Ethiopia and Cameroon. Collectively, international food security projects funded by LEGER in 2015 improved the lives of 93,664 people.
Social inclusion is L'Ouvre Léger's other major funding priority. LEGER funded 17 projects in Quebec in 2015, improving the lives of 41,772 people. Internationally, LEGER funded 2 social inclusion projects in Latin America (Peru and Haiti), 2 projects in Africa (Burkina Faso and Kenya) and 6 projects in Asia (India, the Philippines and Nepal) in 2015. Collectively, LEGER's international social inclusion projects improved the lives of 41,993 people.
L'Ouvre Léger's Humanitarian Aid program responded to the 2015 Nepal earthquake that caused more than 9,000 deaths and left over 8 million people in extreme poverty. LEGER reports that it helped over 10,000 children affected by the disaster through the 16 child-friendly spaces it set up across Nepal.
L'Ouvre Léger is a big-cap charity with total donations of $11.6m in F2015. F2015 donations spiked 180% from the year before due to $9.9m in bequests, up 400% from F2014. Administrative costs are 7% of revenues and fundraising costs are 11% of donations. $0.18 of every donated dollar goes to overhead costs, which falls within Ci's reasonable range for overhead spending. However, F2014 overhead spending fell above Ci's reasonable range, at $0.52 on the dollar.
L'Ouvre Léger reports investment income of $1.9m in F2015, earning a 5.1% return on investment. Investment income of $3.5m in F2014 earned a 9.9% return on investment. The charity's investments are held mostly in fixed income and equities (53% bonds and 44% equities in F2015).
L'Ouvre Léger holds funding reserves of $46.5m, of which $4.8m are endowed. Excluding endowed funds, L'Ouvre Léger's reserves can cover annual program costs for 6.8 years.
This charity report is an update that is currently being reviewed by L'Ouvre Léger. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated on August 10, 2016 by Katie Khodawandi.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending December
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||6.5%||20.7%||16.9%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||11.2%||31.1%||42.1%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||733.4%||919.2%||642.7%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Business activities (net)||(518)||(238)||2|
|Program costs - International||5,068||2,923||4,411|
|Program costs - Canada||1,266||1,281||1,418|
|Cash flow from operations||7,080||1,571||534|