Hockey Hall of Fame

30 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E 1X8
President & CEO: Jeffery D. Denomme
Board Chair: Lanny McDonald

Charitable Reg. #: 11895 8883 RR0001
Sector: Sports & Recreation
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: D+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #29

Avg. Compensation $97,543

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 7
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Hockey Hall of Fame:

Founded in 1943, the Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum was established to preserve the history of ice hockey and honour the achievements of teams and individuals who made major contributions to the sport.  Its museum holds exhibits about players, teams, National Hockey League (NHL) records, memorabilia and NHL trophies.  The charity works with members of the Canadian and international hockey communities to promote the game of hockey both in Canada and abroad.  The charity conducts education programs on hockey at junior, intermediate, and senior levels.  In F2015, despite spending 62% of donations on fundraising, only 18% of F2015 revenue came from donations, and the rest came from its retail store, ticket sales, licensing and other business activities and fees for services.  

Financial Review:

In F2015, the  Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum spent 17% of revenues on administrative costs and 62% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 79% fall well outside of Ci's reasonable range.  Fundraising costs as a percentage of donations raise dramatically from 35% in F2013 to 62% in F2015  due to fundraising costs increasing by 30% yet donations fell 25%.


The foundation has funding reserves of $3.3m, which can cover annual programs for 10 months.  Program cost coverage increased from 6 months to 11 months due to an 80% increase in net surplus from $1.2m in F2013 to $2.1m in F2015.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  the  Hockey Hall of Fame.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
Administrative costs as % of revenues 16.7%17.1%17.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 61.8%45.7%35.3%
Program cost coverage (%) 87.2%55.4%46.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 1,4751,7391,961
Fees for service 5,5244,8884,546
Business activities (net) 945973771
Other income 247199179
Total revenues 8,1917,7997,457
Program costs 3,8154,2384,296
Administrative costs 1,3681,3301,303
Fundraising costs 911795693
Cash flow from operations 2,0971,4361,165
Funding reserves 3,3262,3481,994
Note: Ci only included net business income and deducted the expenses of retail, facility sales, licensing, and induction celebration from total revenue, lowering total revenue by $6.5m in F2015, $6.0m in F2014, and $5.3m in F2013.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top