You may also like:
Health Sciences Centre Foundation
Together, we bring hope to life.
Health - Hospital Foundation
Winnipeg, MB
Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation
Dedicated to increasing cancer survivorship in Eastern Ontario
Health - Cancer
Ottawa, ON

University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation

40 Ruskin Street
Ottawa, ON K1Y 4W7
President & CEO: Jim Orban
Treasurer: David Bennet

Charitable Reg. #: 14081 3452 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Results Reporting

Grade: C

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2014 2015 2016
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #17

Avg. Compensation $89,607

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 2
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation:

University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation raises funds for University of Ottawa Heart Institute. Founded in 1969, University of Ottawa Heart Institute  is Canada’s largest cardiovascular health centre, caring for over 100k cardiac patients every year. The institute is affiliated with Ottawa Hospital and University of Ottawa. As a complete cardiac centre, the  institute is dedicated to the understanding, treatment, and prevention of heart disease.  In F2016, the foundation granted $6.4m to  University of Ottawa Heart Institute.  In F2016, the foundation reported spending 45% on research, 44% on patient care, 6% on equipment, 3% on education, and 2% on other needs. 

Financial Review:

In F2016, University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation spent 4% of revenues on administrative costs and 16% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 20% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $85m,  including donor-endowed funds of $53m. The funding reserves can cover annual grants and programs for 13.3 years or 8.5 years excluding donor-endowed funds.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  University of Ottawa Heart Institute Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.4%4.9%5.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 15.5%15.2%21.6%
Program cost coverage (%) 1,325.8%782.9%1,111.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 15,24213,41011,520
Investment income (631)6,0616,840
Total revenues 14,61119,47118,360
Grants 6,39810,2096,590
Administrative costs 675655653
Fundraising costs 2,3622,0372,488
Cash flow from operations 5,1776,5708,630
Funding reserves 84,82379,92673,241

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top