Islamic Relief Canada

3501 Mainway
Burlington, ON L7M 1A9
CEO: Zaid Al-Rawni
Board Chair: Dr. Hanny El-Banna

Charitable Reg. #: 82189 6875 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #17

Avg. Compensation $22,001

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 8
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Islamic Relief Canada:

Islamic Relief Canada (IRC) is the Canadian affiliate of Islamic Relief Worldwide. IRC takes on disaster relief and development projects, with focuses on poverty reduction, income generation, and better standards of living. Islamic Relief Canada is inspired by Islamic values and conducts its programs accordingly. It hosts a variety of religious programs to help poor people take part in the Islamic festivals of Ramadan and Qurbani.

In F2015, Islamic Relief Canada allocated $14.9m to its international programs. These funds helped strengthen affected communities. Funded programs include emergency shelter repairs in Afghanistan, immediate response to El Nino in Ethiopia and food assistance to 3 million displaced people in Iraq. IRC also sent money for education and training programs in Ethiopia, Chad, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Sudan. It reports that training activities helped 240 young adults get jobs in Ethiopia.

In F2015, Islamic Relief Canada delivered over 30,000 food packs to many countries across the globe. Each food packet contains 30 pounds of food. It also sponsored 5,000 orphans. IRC is currently organizing campaigns for the month of Ramadan, and for Qurbani in late Fall.

Financial Review:

Islamic Relief Canada is one of Canada's Major 100 charities. It received donations of $17.8m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of revenues and fundraising costs are 8% of donations. Total overhead comes to 12%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. IRC's total funding reserves are $9.5m, which can cover annual program costs for 0.6 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Islamic Relief Canada. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.6%2.2%2.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 8.0%6.5%6.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 62.6%60.7%102.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 17,77016,0309,195
Other income 8213970
Total revenues 17,85216,1699,265
Program costs - International 14,89412,8425,743
Program costs - Canada 316193160
Administrative costs 638362233
Fundraising costs 1,4191,036589
Other costs 000
Cash flow from operations 5851,7362,539
Funding reserves 9,5187,9066,061
Note: Ci has taken out amortization from fundraising and administrative costs to report amortization as a non-cash expense.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top