You may also like:
McGill University
Open + Connected + Purposeful
Education - University
Montreal, QC
Cancer Research Society
Say no to cancer.
Health - Cancer
Montreal, QC

McGill University Health Centre Foundation

900-2155 Guy
Montreal, QC H3H 2R9
President: Julie Quenneville
Board Member: John Archer

Charitable Reg. #: 86843 3394 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Donor Accountability

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #6

Avg. Compensation $80,354

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 5
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About McGill University Health Centre Foundation:

Founded in 1998 through a merger of 6 local hospitals, McGill University Health Centre Foundation (MUHCF) raises funds for patient care, teaching and research at McGill University Health Centre hospital and McGill University Health Centre Research Institute. MUHCF also supports Glen Site, Lachine Hospital, Montreal General Hospital and The Neuro.

In F2015, McGill University Health Centre Foundation allocated $5.6m to local hospitals. The hospital admits 39,873 patients and receives 173,200 emergency visits annually. Doctors at the centre operate on 33,309 patients each year. Further, the hospital trains 3,000 students, including medical and surgical residents. The research institute supports 460 researchers and 1,200 graduate students. The institute runs the Centre for Innovative Medicine to conduct clinical trials and the Centre for Translational Biology, which received a $100m grant from the Quebec government.

Researchers, funded by McGill University Health Centre Foundation, have made significant discoveries. Dr. L. Ferri discovered a new way cancer can spread to other cells, and Dr. R. Hess developed a therapy that uses the video game Tetris to treat ‘Lazy Eye.’ Ongoing research at the institute includes studying the effects of medical cannabis in treating chronic pain and exploring muscle wasting syndromes in cancer patients.

Financial Review:

McGill University Health Centre Foundation is a Big-Cap charity with donations and special event revenue of $8.5m in F2015. Administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and reported fundraising costs are 1% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 9%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. MUHCF has funding reserves of $9.4m that can cover program costs for 1.7 years. Excluding donor-endowed funds of $1.2m, funding reserves can cover program costs for 1.5 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 27th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.2%11.8%12.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 1.0%0.6%0.8%
Program cost coverage (%) 166.3%112.2%178.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 8,4576,4746,480
Special events 489279
Investment income 179179215
Total revenues 8,6846,7446,774
Grants 5,6297,1516,263
Administrative costs 699777844
Fundraising costs 854154
Other costs 464
Cash flow from operations 2,268(1,231)(391)
Funding reserves 9,3628,02211,205
Note: Ci removed investment and safekeeping fees from investment income and included investment and safekeeping fees in its expenses calculation.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top