Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society

1150 Raymur Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6A 3T2
Board Chair: Dale Saip
CEO: Aart Schuurman Hess

Charitable Reg. #: 10744 9787 RR0001
Sector: Social Services - Food Bank (Multi-Service Agency)
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #35

Avg. Compensation $53,440

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 4
$40k - $80k 5
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society:

Founded in 1982, Greater Vancouver Food Bank Scoiety (GVFBS) provides food to and assists the poor and needy with food programs. GVFBS focuses on providing high quality food, improving food literacy and training people to build cooking skills. It collects and distributes food through 15 food depots and over 90 local charities in Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster and the North Shore. GVFBS also runs many programs. Kids' Picks provides pre-school children with bags of healthy snacks. Basics for Babies helps families to care for young infants by supplying food, formula and diapers. Fresh Choice Kitchens and Downtown Eastside Community Kitchens provide cooking space and opportunities for people to cook together.

In F2015, Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society received, purchased and donated 4.4 million pounds or $9.2m worth of food. Through its community kitchens, GVFBS provided 35,280 meals and ran 44 weekly cooking sessions. 52 local charities that pick up food directly from GVFBS supported 10,723 people weekly. In total, GVFBS supports 26,500 people weekly. Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society reports that, to date, it has saved 607,207 pounds of food from wastage.

Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society claims that each $1 donated provides $3 worth of food. No data is given for this multiplier.

Financial Review:

Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society is one of Canada's Major 100 charities, which received monetary donations of $4.4m in F2015 along with donated food worth $8.6m in F2015. Administrative costs are 6% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 20% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 26%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. GVFBS has total funding reserves of $4.9m, including donor-endowed funds of $565k. Excluding the cost of donated food and donor-endowed funds, GVFBS's funding reserves cover program costs for 1.7 years.

This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated August 25th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
Administrative costs as % of revenues 5.8%6.2%6.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.2%17.4%15.7%
Program cost coverage (%) 190.2%190.7%160.1%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 4,4044,0533,883
Goods in kind 8,6018,1568,364
Investment income 125161170
Total revenues 13,13012,37012,417
Program costs 2,5792,3662,516
Grants 8,5908,1568,364
Administrative costs 758753834
Fundraising costs 891706610
Cash flow from operations 31238893
Funding reserves 4,9034,5114,027
Note: Ci includes donated food in kind in its revenues and expenses calculations. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top