Fondation CHU Saint-Justine

5757 Decelles Avenue suite 335
Montreal, QC H3S 2C3
President & CEO: Maud Cohen
Board Chair: Michael M. Fortier

Charitable Reg. #: 11892 1667 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #50

Avg. Compensation $76,026

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 6
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Fondation CHU Saint-Justine:

Founded in 1987 through the merger of Fondation Justine-Lacoste-Beaubien and Fondation Sainte-Justine, Fondation CHU Sainte-Justine (FCHU) raises funds to care for women and children at Sainte-Justine University Hospital Centre. The hospital is the largest mother and child care centre in Canada. FCHU's focus is on risky pregnancies, mental diseases, cancer care, muscle disorders and heart care. The foundation also funds research and teaching at Sainte-Justine University Hospital Centre.

In F2015, Fondation CHU Sainte-Justine allocated $25.2m to the hospital. It spent $11.3m on research, $10.8m on patient care and $3.1m on teaching. The hospital has more than 5,600 employees, including 502 physicians and dentists and contains the second largest pediatric research centre in Canada. Sainte-Justine University Hospital Centre also teaches more than 3,500 students. Every year, the hospital treats 70,000 people in its emergency ward and 200,000 people in outpatient clinics. Doctors at the hospital operate on 11,000 people and deliver 3,300 babies each year.

In 2013, Fondation CHU Sainte-Justine started a 5-year $150m fundraising campaign, Healing More Better, to expand facilities at the hospital. Its previous fundraising campaign, Growing Up Healthy, raised $125m. FCHU used these funds to expand Centre de Cancerologie Charles-Bruneau and move Montreal's Ronald McDonald House to a new building.

Financial Review:

Fondation CHU Sainte-Justine is one of Canada's Major 100 charities with donations of $25.1m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 20% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 24%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. FCHU has funding reserves of $109.4m that can cover program costs for 4.3 years. Excluding donor-endowed funds of $30m, funding reserves can cover program costs for 3.4 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 28th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.2%4.1%4.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.3%24.2%23.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 434.6%707.3%425.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 25,08024,97123,805
Business activities (net) 4,1882,3811,775
Investment income 6,3555,2153,607
Total revenues 35,62332,56729,186
Grants 25,16414,10521,181
Administrative costs 1,2241,1071,049
Fundraising costs 5,0826,0385,530
Cash flow from operations 4,15211,3161,426
Funding reserves 109,36099,76290,195
Note: Ci reported net revenues from business activities, reducing both revenues and expenses by $1m in F2015, $818k in F2014 and $966k in F2013. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs. Charity Intelligence has analyzed the charity’s French audited financial statements to the best of our abilities but we recognize that detailed financial information is beyond our linguistic expertise. Material omissions may not be reflected in Charity Intelligence’s analysis.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top