You may also like:
Philip Aziz Centre for Hospice Care
Compassion. Care. Support.
Health - Palliative
Toronto, ON
Central Toronto Community Health Centres
To improve the health and quality of life of the communities we serve
Toronto, ON

Toronto East General Hospital Foundation

825 Coxwell Avenue
Toronto, ON M4C 3E7
President: Mitze Mourinho
Board Chair: Michael Burns

Charitable Reg. #: 11925 9448 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Donor Accountability

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #14

Avg. Compensation $90,995

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 5
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Toronto East General Hospital Foundation :

The Toronto East General Hospital Foundation is the fundraising arm of the community teaching hospital Toronto East General Hospital.  Donations to the foundation are used to invest  in technology, equipment, patient care amenities and training in the  Toronto East General Hospital.  On December 2, 2015, the foundation received its biggest donation in history from Myron and Berna Garron who gave  $50 million to the hospital.  This donation will be used to purchase equipment in the hospital, including a CT scanner and drive innovation, and establish the first teaching and research chairs in its history, allowing the hospital to attract and retain key staff. 

In F2015, the foundation granted $5.5m to the hospital.  In F2015, the hospital had 3,062 births, 72,840 emergency visits, 19,792 surgeries, and 211,211 ambulatory clinic visits.  In F2015, staff compliance on hand hygiene increased from 90% to 94%, and Clostridium difficile infection rates increased from 0.2% per 1000 patient days to 0.6%.  Patient satisfaction of emergency services increased from 75% to 84%, and patient satisfaction of inpatient services increased from 90% to 93%.

Financial Review:

In F2015, the Toronto East General Hospital Foundation's administrative costs were 11% of revenues while fundraising costs were 37% of donations. Total overhead costs of 48% fall outside of Ci's reasonable range. The foundation has funding reserves of $13.1m, including donor-endowed funds of $382k. The funding reserve can cover annual grants for 2.4 years excluding donor-endowed funds.  Program cost coverage in F2013 was abnormally high at 43 years as the foundation granted only $424k to the hospital in F2013 versus $6.6m in F2014 and $5.5m in F2015.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by the Toronto East General Hospital Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 11.1%16.2%8.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 36.7%42.5%35.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 237.1%208.4%4,292.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 8,2164,6677,709
Investment income 190269203
Total revenues 8,4064,9357,912
Grants 5,5066,593424
Administrative costs 911757627
Fundraising costs 3,0171,9852,767
Cash flow from operations (1,028)(4,400)4,094
Funding reserves 13,05613,74218,200
Note: Ci used fundraising allocations from the charity's T3010 CRA filing as the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administration costs on its audited financial statements.

Comments added by the Charity:

Thank you for considering a donation or getting involved with Toronto East General Hospital Foundation. If you have any questions or would like further information, please call us at 416-469-6003.

Go to top