Habitat for Humanity Canada
Toronto, ON M4S 2L9
Board Chair: Don Bjornson
CEO: Mark Rodgers
Charitable Reg. #: 11895 0120 RR0001
Social Results Reporting
Grade: AThe grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Program Cost Coverage
Full-time staff #42
Avg. Compensation $74,182
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||1|
|$120k - $160k||3|
|$80k - $120k||6|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Habitat for Humanity Canada:
Founded in 1986, Habitat for Humanity Canada mobilizes volunteers and community partners to build affordable housing for low-income families globally. The charity promotes home-ownership as a means to break the cycle of poverty. The charity operates through 56 independently registered affiliate chapters, that build the homes with volunteer labour, donated materials and no-interest mortgages tailored to income levels. The repaid mortgages are used to build more houses. The charity is largely supported by volunteers and the charity has 70,000+ active volunteers in F2015. Other than the grants to affiliated chapters, the charity's main program is the Global Village Program, which sends volunteers to help international affiliates build homes. In F2015, 1,455 Canadian volunteers travelled abroad to build homes in 27 countries.
In F2015, the affiliates built 228 homes in Canada: 74 in Alberta, 66 in Ontario, 25 in Manitoba, 20 in Saskatchewan, 14 in British Columbia, 7 in New Brunswick, 6 in Newfoundland, 5 in Prince Edward Island, 4 in Quebec, 4 in Yukon, and 3 in Nova Scotia. A 2015 social return on investment study conducted by the Boston Consulting Group found that every $1 spent on the charity's home-ownership program leads to $4 of social benefits. The study found that the charity generates an average of $175k of social benefits for every family helped, translating into $40m in total benefits from the 228 homes built in Canada in F2015.
In F2015, Habitat for Humanity Canada spent 3% of revenues on administrative costs and 12% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 15% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The foundation is consistently cost efficient from F2013 to F2015. The charity has total funding reserves of $6m, which can only cover annual programs and grants for 3 months.
In F2015, $3.1m or 25% of $12.7m total donations are for the Global Village Program, but only $916k or 14% of Program Costs are spent on the program. The charity did not clarify the source of the $4.5m international program spending in addition to the Global Village Program. 43% of total donations are gifts-in-kind. Fees for service is the revenue from affiliations and fundraising services. $15.4m of grants are all allocated towards affiliate support.
Analysis conducted by Ruoxi Gao on August 5th in 2016, currently under review by Habitat for Humanity Canada. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending December
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||3.0%||5.2%||4.5%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||11.8%||13.0%||12.7%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||27.5%||28.5%||39.8%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Goods in kind||9,493||6,916||6,948|
|Fees for service||4,615||2,446||2,187|
|Program costs - International||5,395||6,894||5,544|
|Program costs - Canada||1,180||751||549|
|Cash flow from operations||1,376||(849)||829|