Humanitarian Coalition

39 McArthur
Ottawa, ON K1L 8L7
Executive Director: Richard Morgan
Board Chair: Patricia Erb

Charitable Reg. #: 83159 0666 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Donor Accountability

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #2

Avg. Compensation $54,048

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Humanitarian Coalition:

Founded in 2005, Humanitarian Coalition (HC) raises funds for charities that respond to international disasters. It funds disaster relief efforts in 68 countries and 58,000 communities. HC grants money to 5 charities: CARE Canada, Oxfam Canada, Oxfam-Quebec, Plan Canada, Save the Children Canada with Canadian Lutheran World Relief and Islamic Relief recently added. In 2015, HC focused on the Ebola breakout in West Africa, violence in South Sudan, the typhoon in the Philippines and the Syrian refugee crisis. There are 28,000 cases of Ebola in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone; over 11,000 people have died from this disease. 1.5 million people have fled South Sudan due to violence and 16 million people are affected by the crisis in Syria.

In F2015, Humanitarian Coalition allocated $4.6m to other charities for disaster relief. HC raised $2m for the Ebola crisis, helping 95,000 people with food, clothing and support. It spent $150k for South Sudan, providing food and security. HC’s Canadian Humanitarian Assistance Fund lent support to India, Cameroon, Niger, Turkey, Iraq, Nepal and Bangladesh. Humanitarian Coalition continually evaluates and monitors its efforts in countries. It releases review reports one year after responding to a crisis. HC also organized the Second Annual Canadian Humanitarian Conference. In Canada, HC organized a conference where 300 social workers and academics attended to discuss best practices of disaster relief efforts.

Financial Review:

Humanitarian Coalition is a Mid-Cap charity, which received donations of $4.3m in F2015. Administrative costs are 6% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 8% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 14%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. HC has total funding reserves of $2.2m that can cover the charity’s annual program costs for 6 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 18th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir. Revisions made March 21, 2017 by Kate Bahen on notification from Humanitarian Coalition.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.2%8.8%10.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 8.1%13.9%9.6%
Program cost coverage (%) 47.4%17.9%99.1%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 4,3331,3443,289
Government funding 1,8942,0000
Other income 94142
Total revenues 6,2353,3853,332
Grants 4,5573,8541,429
Administrative costs 386298360
Fundraising costs 352187316
Cash flow from operations 941(953)1,227
Funding reserves 2,1616891,416
Note: Ci included increases in deferred revenues in its revenue calculations, affecting revenues by $937k in F2015, ($874k) in F2014 and $1m in F2013. Ci allocated wages and benefits to administrative and fundraising costs to reconcile audited financial statement figures with the charity’s CRA T3010 filings.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top