You may also like:
Ottawa Hospital Foundation
Compassionate People, World-Class Care
Health - Hospital Foundation
Ottawa, ON

Fondation du CHUM (Centre Hospitalier de l'Universite de Montreal)

500 Place D'Armes, Suite 1405
Montreal, QC H2Y 2W2
President & CEO: Luce Moreau
Board Chair: Marie-Berthe Des Groseillers

Charitable Reg. #: 88342 9961 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Donor Accountability

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #32

Avg. Compensation $58,616

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 2
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Fondation du CHUM (Centre Hospitalier de l'Universite de Montreal):

Founded in 1998, Fondation du CHUM (FC) raises funds for Centre Hospitalier de l’Universite de Montreal, the main teaching hospital of Universite de Montreal. The hospital started in 1996 after Montreal’s Hotel-Dieu, Notre-Dame and Saint-Luc hospitals merged. FC focuses on funding state-of-the-art equipment, health care, teaching and research at the hospital. The hospital specializes in treatment and research in areas of cancer, transplantation, neurosciences, cardio metabolic and musculoskeletal disorders.

In F2015, Fondation du CHUM allocated $15.9m to the hospital and gave $5.2m to local clinics.  Of the $15.9m, $8.5m went to equipment and health care facilities, $6m to research and $1.4m to teaching. In recent years, FC bought a new MRI machine for $5m, the new Da Vinci Robot (robotic surgery assistance) machine for $3.5m, PET Camera (imaging system) for $2.4m and a C-Arm (imaging system) for $1.4m. The hospital caters to 12,000 patients and trains 5,800 students and interns every year. FC launched a 7-year $2.5 billion fundraising campaign in 2012 to move the hospital to a new building with 40 operating rooms and 772 patient rooms.

Researchers, funded by Fondation du CHUM, developed a new oral drug for cancer patients. The drug, to be tested in the next 3.5 years, will treat people with advanced cancer, including triple negative breast, colorectal and ovarian cancers.

Financial Review:

Fondation du CHUM is a Big-Cap charity with donations and special events revenues of $16.3m in F2015. Administrative costs are 12% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 8% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 20%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. FC has funding reserves of $57.8m that can cover program costs for 2.7 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming. 

Updated on July 29th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 12.3%10.4%13.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 7.5%6.2%6.7%
Program cost coverage (%) 274.3%216.8%338.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 12,43516,09211,813
Fees for service 7,8077,6847,995
Special events 3,8354,1774,278
Investment income 2,7123,3592,445
Total revenues 26,78931,31126,531
Grants 21,06523,69113,654
Administrative costs 2,9492,9043,255
Fundraising costs 1,2261,2561,085
Cash flow from operations 1,5503,4608,538
Funding reserves 57,78251,35846,261
Note: Charity Intelligence has analyzed the charity’s French audited financial statements to the best of our abilities but we recognize that detailed financial information is beyond our linguistic expertise. Material omissions may not be reflected in Charity Intelligence’s analysis.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top