United Way of Winnipeg

580 Main Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 1C7
President & CEO: Susan Lewis
Board Chair: Herbert J. Peters

Website: www.unitedwaywinnipeg.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11927 8513 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #75

Avg. Compensation $71,826

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 4
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About United Way of Winnipeg:

Founded in 1965, United Way of Winnipeg (UWWIN) raises funds to support local charities and individuals in their efforts to make Winnipeg a better place to live in. UWWIN allocates grants to these local bodies based on its assessment of the community's needs in areas of education, income and health. UWWIN works with Peg, a research agency, to understand the needs of the community. Peg tracks indicators and stories on the quality of life in Winnipeg to help people understand the changing trends in society.

In F2015, United Way of Winnipeg granted $16.7m to over 100 local charities. It also runs a few internal programs like Kids Care and Living on the Edge Poverty Simulation. These programs helped UWWIN connect with the community and understand its social needs and perceptions better. It funded over 90 community development and counselling programs, 27 money management and employment skills building sessions, and 50 out of school programs.

Through its allocations, United Way of Winnipeg has helped out 90,000 people this year alone. It reports that through these arrangements 850 young people are no longer living on the streets and 870 individuals are employed. 96% of the seniors surveyed are now feeling less isolated than before.

Financial Review:

United Way of Winnipeg is a large charity which received donations of $21.7m in F2015. Administrative costs are 3% of revenues and fundraising costs are 19% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 22%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. UWWIN has funding reserves of 30.3m that can cover its program costs 1.5 times.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by United Way of Winnipeg. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on May 25th, 2016 by Mirza Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 2.8%2.8%2.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 19.0%19.0%18.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 145.5%146.3%126.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 21,65521,35120,785
Government funding 4,1902,9872,987
Fees for service 206458287
Special events 713773740
Investment income 2,0121523
Total revenues 28,77625,58424,821
Program costs 4,1082,9922,811
Grants 16,70216,50515,878
Donor-designated donations 9351,1291,249
Administrative costs 737712697
Fundraising costs 4,2394,2103,974
Cash flow from operations 2,05536212
Funding reserves 30,27028,53023,649
Note: Ci has reversed unrealized gains and losses decreasing revenue by $0.6m in F2015, $3.4m in F2014 and $1.9m in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top