World Vision Canada
Mississauga, ON L5T 2Y4
President & CEO: Michael Messenger
Board Chair: Ron McKerlie
Charitable Reg. #: 11930 4855 RR0001
Social Results Reporting
Grade: A-The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Program Cost Coverage
Full-time staff #466
Avg. Compensation $82,966
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||2|
|$160k - $200k||7|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||0|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About World Vision Canada:
Founded in the early 1950s, World Vision Canada (WVC) is a Christian development, relief and advocacy charity working with communities, families and children to overcome poverty and injustice. WVC works for 15 years in each community, building the foundations for sustainable development, improving living conditions, and supporting job training and farming. This work includes water and sanitation projects, immunization, and schools. On average, World Vision Canada spends $20m on each community over the 15 years (all-in costs including management and evaluation). In addition to development, World Vision Canada is a disaster response charity that has a track record of quick response and spends disaster relief funding within 3 years. World Vision also advocates on global issues like child rights, hunger and maternal and neonatal health.
In F2015, World Vision Canada spent $2.4m on development programs in Canada giving necessities to needy children, $5.3m on public awareness, and $345.7m on international development working in 48 developing countries. In 2015, through World Vision's child sponsorship monthly donations of $39, Canadian donors funded 255 WVC communities. This has risen over the last 5 years from working in 239 developing towns in 2011. In 2015 World Vision Canada reports 478,403 sponsored children, a 2% annual decline. World Vision Canada supported 20,869 local savings groups and helped 464,855 people pay school fees and make home repairs.
In F2015, World Vision's annual reports highlight helping 211,586 victims of Nepal's earthquake with shelter kits and opened up 35 safe spaces for children to play and learn in. WVC funded necessities for 2 million Syrian refugees.
World Vision Canada states that its water hygiene programs have decreased diarrhea dramatically over the past years, from 42% of children in 2013 to 25% today. WVC also reports that its work in a community reduces underweight children by 9% since it started its programs. In F2015, 19 communities "graduated" from WVC's 15-year development program.
August 9, 2016: Charity Intelligence Donor Brief on allegations of World Vision donations diverted to fund Hamas in the Gaza. https://www.charityintelligence.ca/news-and-views/ci-articles?id=209
World Vision Canada is Canada's largest donor-funded charity and tops the list of Canada's Major 100 charities receiving cash donations of $262.7m in F2015 along with donated gifts of $121.8m. WVC received government funding of $37.4m in F2015. Administrative costs are 6% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 23% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 29% within Ci's reasonable range. WVC has total funding reserves of $48.2m that can cover the charity's program costs for 2 months showing a need for donations. The donations and goods World Vision Canada receives are transferred to World Vision to run international development projects; $327.2m in F2015, $309.7m in F2014, and $284.4m in F2013.
This report is an update and is currently being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated July 29th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending September
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||5.8%||5.5%||4.9%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||23.2%||20.3%||20.6%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||13.6%||11.4%||10.7%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Goods in kind||121,781||98,611||97,051|
|Program costs - International||18,462||15,935||22,295|
|Program costs - Canada||7,679||9,254||9,034|
|Cash flow from operations||2,428||1,271||438|