Southern Alberta Land Trust Society

P.O. Box 45016
High River, AB T1V 1R7
Executive Director: Justin Thompson
Board President: John Cross

Charitable Reg. #: 89701 3223 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #2

Avg. Compensation $60,417

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 2
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Southern Alberta Land Trust Society:

Founded in 1998, Southern Alberta Land Trust Society is a locally-based charity dedicated to protecting the environmental, productive, scenic and cultural values of southern Alberta's lands.  The charity is focused on preserving grasslands, woodlands, and wetlands, both along the Eastern Slopes and in the prairie regions.  The charity works through conservation easements: landowners retain possession of their lands but agree to the limitations of usage.  As of F2015, the charity manages 35 land easements, covering a total of 16k acres.  The charity's goal is to reach 20k  acres by 2020.  The charity believes that the most effective and lasting conservation solutions are originated and maintained at the community level.


Financial Review:

Southern Alberta Land Trust Society changed its reporting period from October to December in F2015. The audited financial statements for F2015 are for 14 months from November 2014 to December 2015.

In F2015, Southern Alberta Land Trust Society spent 7% of revenues on administrative costs and 3% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 10% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $602k, which can cover annual programs and grants for 5 months.

Program cost coverage was unusually high in F2013 due to low program and grant expenses. 

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by Southern Alberta Land Trust Society.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.7%0.8%4.5%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 2.9%1.6%2.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 45.4%53.0%757.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 221,654119,628118,808
Government funding 503,4502,393,984291,726
Fees for service 1,3301,050640
Special events 51,01600
Investment income 13,44016,43313,031
Other income 00300
Total revenues 790,8902,531,095424,505
Program costs 804,3491,932,051338,204
Grants 522,738538,50070,000
Administrative costs 52,16918,93018,396
Fundraising costs 7,9401,8752,500
Cash flow from operations (596,306)39,739(4,595)
Funding reserves 601,8751,308,9783,091,155
Note: Ci excluded membership costs from membership income, lowering total revenue and total costs by $145 in F2015 and $85 in F2013.  Membership costs in F2014 were not reported.  The charity's F2015 T3010 CRA filing only includes partial compensation expense, so Ci used compensation data from F2014.

Comments added by the Charity:

SALTS prefers to use conservation easements rather than land purchase because easements provide a much better leveraging of available funds, plus we prefer to have an agricultural operator remain as owner of the property if possible.
The majority of the Surplus shown in the Pie Chart above represents grant funds that  have not yet been spent but are committed to specific projects. Placing a conservation easement can often take one to three years and money raised to place the easements, while shown on our balance sheet as an asset, is considered restricted until the easement is placed and the funds expended.
Go to top