You may also like:
Ontario Nature
Making a Difference for Nature
Toronto, ON
Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
CPAWS is Canada's voice for wilderness
Ottawa, ON
Western Canada Wilderness Committee
Protecting Canada's wilderness and wildlife for over 35 years
Vancouver, BC

Nature Canada

75 Albert Street, Suite 300
Ottawa, ON K1P5E7
Executive Director: Eleanor Fast
Board Chair: Richard Yank

Charitable Reg. #: 11883 4704 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #16

Avg. Compensation $52,548

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Nature Canada:

Nature Canada began in 1939 as an association of naturalists clubs and is Canada's oldest  national nature conservation organization. Today, Nature Canada acts as the national voice for its provincial member organizations. This network includes over 350 naturalist organizations with more than 45,000 volunteers and supporters.

Nature Canada's mission is to protect and conserve wildlife and habitats by engaging people and advocating on behalf of nature. Protecting birds and other biodiversity is at the core of Nature Canada, so too is ensuring the land and water they inhabit is kept clean and free from unnecessary disturbance.  Programs focus on endangered species, bird conservation, water resources, and parks and protected areas. 

Financial Review:

In F2015, Nature Canada's administrative costs were 9% of revenues while fundraising costs were 20% of donations. Total overhead costs of 29% fall within Ci's reasonable range.  Nature Canada  has funding reserves of $743k, including donor-endowed funds of $128k.  This funding reserve can cover annual grants and programs for 6 months or 5 months excluding  donor-endowed funds.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Nature Canada.


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 9.4%4.6%5.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.1%12.3%21.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 51.9%46.3%67.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 1,358,2212,287,4831,963,899
Government funding 162,231199,853116,052
Investment income 26,768(45,087)(20,912)
Other income 13,10117,3806,192
Total revenues 1,560,3212,459,6292,065,231
Program costs 1,432,0322,131,9731,519,522
Administrative costs 144,628114,942120,613
Fundraising costs 272,502281,955422,851
Cash flow from operations (288,841)(69,241)2,245
Funding reserves 742,737986,6601,024,221
Note: Charity Intelligence incorporated unrealized losses from investments in total revenue, lowering total revenue by $37k in F2015, $65k in F2014, and $42k in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top