Jane Goodall Institute

5 Bancroft Avenue, suite 1046
Toronto, ON M5S 1C1
CEO: Andria Teather
Board Chair: Helen Hirsh Spence

Website: www.janegoodall.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 14053 0916 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #9

Avg. Compensation $65,281

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Jane Goodall Institute:

Established by renowned primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute is a global non-profit that empowers people to make a difference for all living things. The institute encourages communities to protect apes and all animals through education, research, and community-centered conservation.

The Jane Goodall Institute of Canada was established in Montreal in 1994 and moved to Toronto in 2007. The Canadian chapter has two main focuses: African projects and Roots & Shoots. In F2015, the institute spent $834k on African projects and $288k on Roots & Shoots. The African projects focus on protecting the habitat of chimpanzees and helping local communities to live more sustainably. Through a Uganda project, the annual deforestation rate within the wildlife corridor was reduced from 5.1% in 2010 to 2.5% in 2013. Roots & Shoots is a youth engagement program that empowers 150,000 youth in 140 countries to make a positive difference for people, animals and the environment. In F2015, Roots & Shoots reached 10,460 youth through 16 workshops across Canada.

Financial Review:

In F2015, the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada spent 10% of revenues on administrative costs and 27% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 37% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has total funding reserves of $884k, which can cover annual programs for 8 months.

Analysis conducted by Ruoxi Gao on July 26th in 2016, currently under review by the Jane Goodall Institute of Canada. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 9.7%8.6%5.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 26.9%21.0%17.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 68.3%66.9%80.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 892,311761,942792,511
Government funding 454,535551,751573,888
Fees for service 170,012230,163227,758
Business activities (net) (179)(506)(1,401)
Investment income 34,9269,31812,759
Other income 3,06411,75249,579
Total revenues 1,554,6691,564,4201,655,094
Program costs 1,294,5131,432,3771,350,891
Administrative costs 146,960133,40395,284
Fundraising costs 240,405160,126138,252
Cash flow from operations (127,209)(161,486)70,667
Funding reserves 884,392957,4911,086,836
Note: Charity Intelligence excluded cost of merchandise from business activities, lowering total revenues and total costs by $3,489 in F2015, $2,773 in F2014, and $4,230 in F2013.  

Comments added by the Charity:

Mailing address: 
 
The Jane Goodall Institute
c/o The University of Toronto Mailroom
563 Spadina Crescent
Toronto, ON M5S 2J7
 
 
Physical Office address:
 
The Jane Goodall Institute
5 Bancroft Avenue, suite 1046
Toronto, ON M5S 1C1

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top