United Way of Calgary and Area

600-105 12 Ave SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1A1
President & CEO: Lucy Miller
Board Chair: Jeff Pearson

Website: www.calgaryunitedway.org
Charitable Reg. #: 13022 9750 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

donor
endowed
Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #146

Avg. Compensation $70,517

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 5
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About United Way of Calgary and Area:

Founded in 1940, United Way of Calgary (UWC) raises funds and allocates money to local charities working towards building strong communities, helping youth and fighting poverty in Calgary. It also runs programs to support poor people and other affected members of the community. The charity grants funds to 319 charities in Calgary. UWC states that, in Calgary, 1 in every 10 people lives in poverty, 3,000 children do not complete high school on time and 12.5% of Albertans over the age of 15 live with a disability.

In F2015, United Way of Calgary allocated $46.9m to local charities, investing $10.1m in poverty alleviation, $15.4m in child development and $21.4m in community programs. It also spent $9.3m on its own programs, including developing a Benefits Navigator calculator to assist people in managing finances. Charities funded by UWC launched 4 community hubs, where people gather together to discuss social issues in the community, build relationships and support development programs. Charities also started after-school confidence building programs for teenage girls and provided scholarships for young women to continue education.

UWC's 2014 community impact report demonstrates the impact of its investments as well as the expected social return on investment (SROI) as a result. UWC reports that for every $1 invested in poverty programs, $6 of social value is created. The SROI for crisis intervention programs is reported as 5:1, and 3:1 for skills training investments.

Financial Review:

United Way of Calgary is one of Canada's Major 100 charities. It received donations of $57.6m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 6% of total donations. Total overheads are 10% well within Ci's reasonable range. UWC has total funding reserves of $71.4m, including $22.9m in donor-endowed funds. Excluding donor-endowed funds, funding reserves cover annual program costs for 1.2 years.

This charity report is an update that has been sent to the charity for review. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated July 7th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.3%4.0%4.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 5.9%5.6%5.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 168.5%176.9%168.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 57,57659,65459,270
Investment income 3,9394,3795,666
Other income 8681182
Total revenues 61,60064,11365,118
Program costs 9,3489,7459,829
Grants 32,99933,41132,815
Donor-designated donations 13,32612,29612,113
Administrative costs 2,4732,3572,507
Fundraising costs 3,4203,3303,261
Cash flow from operations 342,9754,593
Funding reserves 71,36876,33572,017
Note: Ci included unrealized gains from investments in its revenue calculations. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top