You may also like:
Bruce Trail Conservancy
Preserving a ribbon of wilderness, for everyone, forever.
Dundas, ON
Environmental Defence Canada
Defending clean water, a safe climate and healthy communities.
Toronto, ON


550 Bayview Ave.
Toronto, ON M4W 3X8
CEO: Geoffrey Cape
Board Chair: Helen Burstyn

Charitable Reg. #: 13181 5763 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #86

Avg. Compensation $67,751

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 4
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Evergreen:

Founded in 1991, Evergreen is an urban environmental charity that aims to transform public landscapes in urban areas into thriving community spaces with environmental, social and economic benefits. With over 7,500 projects across Canada, Evergreen works with municipal governments, corporate partners, schools, and community groups to improve urban environments. Evergreen focuses on four key areas: (1) restoring and conserving green spaces in cities, (2) engaging young people to connect with the natural world, (3) supporting local farmers and sustainable food systems and (4) promoting innovation and ideas for green infrastructure in cities. 

In 2010, Evergreen opened Evergreen Brick Works, a community environmental centre in Toronto that teaches visitors how to live, work and play more sustainably. The $55m facility was redeveloped from a deteriorating former brick factory and now serves as both a stage and an incubator for Evergreen’s programs.  In F2015, $5.4m or 46% of total program costs were spent on Evergreen Brick Works: $2.3m on programs, $2.2m on salaries, and $883k on property management. 

Financial Review:

In F2015, Evergreen  spent 10% of revenues on administrative costs and 14% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 24% fall within Ci's reasonable range. 

As of F2015, Evergreen has cash and investments of $808k and long-term debt of $4.5m, resulting in a negative funding reserve of -$3.7m.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Evergreen.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 9.8%9.2%12.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 14.3%14.1%9.2%
Program cost coverage (%) (31.3%)(29.1%)(32.1%)

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 7,9726,8299,700
Fees for service 6,4265,7081,164
Total revenues 14,39812,53710,864
Program costs 11,75810,1648,297
Administrative costs 1,4111,1571,318
Fundraising costs 1,143962897
Cash flow from operations 87254353
Funding reserves (3,675)(2,954)(2,660)
Note: In F2015, the charity switched its auditor from Deloitte to KPMG.  In F2013, the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administrative costs, and so Charity Intelligence used the fundraising costs reported in the charity's T3010 CRA filing.  The charity's F2015 T3010 filing was not posted on the CRA's website when this profile was created and compensation information is based on the charity's F2014 T3010 filing.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top