United Way of the Lower Mainland

4543 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 4T4
President & CEO: Michael McKnight
Board Chair: Steve Hunt

Website: www.uwlm.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 10816 0185 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #79

Avg. Compensation $90,151

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 5
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About United Way of the Lower Mainland:

Founded in 1930, United Way of the Lower Mainland (UWLM) collects resources and donations to support the local charities of Vancouver. UWLM focuses on building strong communities, helping children in poverty and supporting seniors. It aims to strengthen children, families and seniors by tackling these social issues.

In 2015, United Way of the Lower Mainland funded 250 local charities to run over 500 programs. These charities conducted 11,400 counselling sessions to help seniors cope with isolation and sent 6,000 mentors to teach children. United Way of Lower Mainland partnered with the provincial government to operate "bc211," a telephone service for the community. This service provides free information in multiple languages and refers people to the services they need. The helpline is always open and receives more than 200 calls each day. Assistance from the service is sought most for domestic abuse and housing issues.

United Way of the Lower Mainland reports that 95% of the kids served by school programs are performing better socially and 90% of them are in better health.

Financial Review:

United Way of the Lower Mainland is one of the Major 100 charities of Canada. UWLM received donations of $29m in F2015. Administrative costs are 6% of revenues and fundraising costs are 16% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 22% lie within Ci's reasonable range. UWLM has funding reserves of $36m of which $7m are donor-endowed funds. Excluding donor-endowed funds, funding reserves can cover 1.2 years of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by United Way of the Lower Mainland. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on May 25, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.3%5.8%5.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 16.3%15.0%14.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 147.7%172.9%222.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 28,63028,95630,505
Government funding 4,0002,0005,000
Investment income 1,2501,062742
Total revenues 33,88032,01936,246
Program costs 3,7273,6593,771
Grants 20,37219,62816,129
Donor-designated donations 5,3194,9745,400
Administrative costs 2,0391,7882,105
Fundraising costs 4,6684,3354,302
Other costs 226234229
Cash flow from operations (2,470)(2,600)4,310
Funding reserves 35,59440,26444,327
Note: Ci removed amortization expenses from administrative costs. This affected administrative costs by (0.2m) in F2015, ($0.2m) in F2014, ($0.2m) in F2013.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top