Development and Peace
Montreal, QC H3G 1T7
Executive Director: Serge Langlois
President: Jean-Denis Lampron
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9902 RR0001
Grade: C+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to the Cause
Full-time staff #76
Avg. Compensation $69,373
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||9|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Development and Peace:
Founded in 1967, Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace (Development and Peace, CCODP) works to provide emergency aid and address social, political, and economic injustices. CCODP is one of 162 Caritas Internationalis members, a collection of Catholic relief, development, and social service organizations working to help the poor. CCODP also works to educate Canadians about the causes of poverty, encouraging them to take action against injustices. Development and Peace’s F2017 annual report shows that 88% of program costs were used on international programs and Canadian programming received the remaining 12%. As of August 2017, CCODP had 202 active development and humanitarian projects in 36 countries.
Development and Peace aims to address the root causes of poverty through providing local organizations with financial support and guidance. Development programs focus on four areas: democracy and citizen participation, ecological justice, justice for women, and peace and reconciliation. In F2017, CCODP trained 10,000 people who led 370,000 activities to educate citizens about democratic processes. Approximately 1,000 Filipino farmers were supported in gaining formal property rights and 1,229 Haitan women received legal, medical, and social assistance. With the ongoing war in Syria, CCODP has worked to support the health and nutrition of people still in the country and those who are refugees in Lebanon and Jordan.
CCODP’s humanitarian aid programs work to serve people’s immediate needs and support reconstruction efforts in areas affected by natural disasters and crises. Of F2017 aid spending, 60% was allocated to crisis areas in the Middle East, 20% to Africa, 11% to Asia, and 9% to Latin America. Aid activities included the construction of 905 temporary shelters in Bangladesh, distribution of food to 25,000 Myanmarese refugees, and food and hygiene kits given to 13,500 families in Haiti.
Results and Impact: Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace supported the renovation of 11 schools in Lebanon. The project allowed 8,975 children to access education, of which 4,009 are girls.
Development and Peace works with partner organizations to advocate for workers’ rights. In Cambodia, 2,200 garment factory workers entered into a legal dispute with their employer when they were paid only 50% of the wages they had earned. The dispute was settled when the employer agreed to pay US$500,000.
Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace is a Large charity with donations of $15.5m in F2017. The charity received $20.7m in government funding, representing 55% of total revenues. Administrative costs are 17% of revenues and fundraising costs are 4% of donations. For every $1 donated, 79 cents go to the cause, falling within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending.
CCODP has $33.0m in funding reserves, of which $1.2m is donor-endowed. Excluding donor-endowed funds, Development and Peace could run programs for ten months using funding reserves.
This charity report is an update that has been sent to Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace for review. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated on August 28, 2018 by Madison Kerr.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending August
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||16.6%||15.0%||18.5%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||4.1%||3.1%||7.2%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||87.9%||101.0%||117.0%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Program costs - International||33,326||31,848||29,226|
|Program costs - Canada||4,196||3,923||4,054|
|Cash flow from operations||(6,518)||(213)||(6,378)|