Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace
Montreal, QC H3G 1T7
Executive Director: David Leduc
President: Ray Temmerman
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9902 RR0001
Grade: B-The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to The Cause
Full-time staff #71
Avg. Compensation $70,692
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||9|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace:
Founded in 1967, Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace (CCODP) is the official international development organization of the Canadian Catholic Church and is a member of Caritas Internationalis. CCODP supports Global South partners in developing alternative social, political and economic structures. It also educates Canadians about the causes of poverty, encouraging them to take action. As per the charity’s F2016 annual report, international program costs made up 89% of programming and Canadian program costs made up the remaining 11%.
Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace’s international programs focus on community development as well as emergency relief and reconstruction in Africa, Latin America, Asia, and the Middle East. In F2016, development programs made up 26% of programming and Humanitarian Aid (emergency relief) made up 25%. Its development program for democracy and citizen participation ran 60,000 sharing sessions in the Democratic Republic of Congo that reached 1.5 million people, of which 56% were women and 36% were youth. Development work for equality between women and men included running nine workshops on eliminating violence against women in Afghanistan in 2016, which reached 227 women and 197 men. CCODP’s social solidarity economy program in Haiti created more than 600 jobs, of which 81% are held by women.
Of those helped through CCODP’s Humanitarian Aid activities in 2016, 59% were from the Middle East, 20% were from Asia, 19% were from Africa, and 2% were from Latin America. The charity reported working on 65 humanitarian aid projects during the year. Major emergency responses included responding to the earthquake in Nepal, the earthquake in Ecuador, Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, the food crisis in Sahel and East Africa, and the conflict in Syria and Iraq. In 2016, CCODP reached 264,976 people in its Nepal response – the emergency phase reached 195,000 people, the house reconstruction phase reached 28,176 people, the agricultural and economic recovery phase reached 40,300 people, and the combatting human trafficking phase reached 1,500 people. In Syria and Iraq, CCODP distributed food baskets to 45,699 people, cared for 15,000 people through its clinic, and renovated houses for 14,000 displaced people.
Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace’s Canadian programs deliver education and action campaigns to raise awareness and mobilize action.
Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace is a large charity, with donations of $16.4m in F2015. It also receives significant government funding, making up 47% of funding at $16m in F2015. The charity’s administrative costs are 19% of revenues and its fundraising cost are 7% of donations. For every $1 donated to the charity, 74 cents is put towards its programs, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. The charity’s funding reserves of $38.9m include $1.1m in donor-endowed funds. This means that it can cover 1.2 years of its annual programs using its existing reserves.
This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Financial information updated on June 14, 2016 by Lynn Tay. Donor accountability information updated on August 15, 2017 by Katie Khodawandi.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending August
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||18.5%||13.5%||13.4%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||7.2%||3.7%||4.2%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||117.0%||166.5%||143.9%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Program costs - International||29,226||23,604||18,918|
|Program costs - Canada||4,054||3,571||3,263|
|Cash flow from operations||(6,378)||9,883||736|