Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation

415 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M8
Board Chair: Mahesh Mani
CEO: Kevin Keohane

Charitable Reg. #: 11885 2474 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #29

Avg. Compensation $98,023

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 3
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 6
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation:

Established in 1974, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Foundation  raises funds to support Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO).  Donations help the hospital provide a wide variety of pediatric programs, research, state-of-the-art equipment, medical and nursing education, and assistance for families in crisis.  The hospital  has more than 2,500 doctors and nurses that specialise in treating children and youth.  The hospital  is one of a few stand-alone pediatric hospitals in Canada: accepting more than 69,000 emergency patients, 171,000 clinic visits, and 7,700 surgeries a year.  

In F2015, the foundation granted $16.8m to the hospital, including $6.6m to capital  and equipment  investment,  $6.0m to the research department, $4.1m to hospital programs and services, $113k to gifts in kind, and $60k to fellowships.

Financial Review:

In F2015, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario  spent 4% of revenues on administrative costs and 52% of donations on fundraising costs.  Fundraising costs include the cost of lotteries as the charity  did not report costs of lottories separately from fundraising costs on its audited financial statements.  Total overhead costs of 56% fall outside of Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $68m, including donor-endowed funds of $42m. This funding reserve can cover annual grants for 4 years or 1 year and 8 months excluding donor-endowed funds. 

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario  Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.2%4.5%4.2%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 52.0%63.6%75.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 405.0%412.0%438.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 6,5754,4965,590
Lotteries (net) 7,3437,1318,969
Business activities (net) 2,7412,5012,505
Special events 8,7558,3076,941
Investment income 1,0922,2041,741
Total revenues 26,50724,63925,746
Grants 16,83215,70313,714
Administrative costs 1,0561,016998
Fundraising costs 7,9788,1409,413
Cash flow from operations 642(220)1,622
Funding reserves 68,17264,70260,128
Note: The charity's F2015 T3010 filing was not posted on the CRA's website when this profile was created and compensation information is based on the charity's F2014 T3010 filing.  Ci excluded unrealized losses from investment income, lowering total revenue by $924k in F2015, $3.2m in F2014, and $5.1m in F2013.  Ci excluded parking lot expenses from business activities, lowering both revenue and costs by $1.4m in F2015 and $1.3m in F2014 and F2013.  The charity did not report lottery expense separately from fundraising expense and so Ci was not able to report lotteries net of expenses.  The charity did not report costs of lottories separately from fundraising costs on its audited financial statements, hence Ci reported fundraising costs including costs of lottories.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top