Simon Fraser University

8888 University Dr.
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
President: Andrew Petter
Vice President: Pat Hibbitts

Charitable Reg. #: 11852 0725 RR0001
Sector: Education - University
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #2,668

Avg. Compensation $120,612

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 1
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 7
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Simon Fraser University:

Founded in 1965, Simon Fraser University (SFU) is a public, research university in British Columbia with campuses in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. SFU's 3 goals are to research, teach and engage the community. 20,203 students – 17,682 undergraduate and 2,521 graduates – study full-time at the university. SFU reports that the booming economy of British Columbia will create 985,100 jobs by 2022. 78% of these jobs will require university degrees. Maclean's rates SFU as the most comprehensive university in Canada. Since 2008, SFU has been ranked first in publication impact, measured by citations of articles, among Canadian universities.

In F2015, Simon Fraser University spent $490.1m on its operations, including $329.2m (67% of operations) on staff and faculty salaries. It gave out $30.4m (6% of operations) in scholarships and financial aid. Highlights from F2015 include hands-on research in earth sciences in 4D Labs, business partnerships with start-ups like 100 Mile Catering and a new Environmental and Ecological Field School. SFU's AGE-WELL initiative brings 25 universities and 80 companies and charities together to discuss environmental challenges.

Dr. Majid Bahrami, professor at Simon Fraser University's School of Mechatronic Systems Engineering, created the Hybrid Atmospheric Water Generator (HAWgen). This machine generates clean water from thin air. Bionic Power, founded by Professor Max Donelan of SFU, secured a $1.3m contract with the US government to build a leg-mounted exoskeleton which powers a soldier's walk.

Financial Review:

Simon Fraser University is one of Canada's Major 100 charities with donations of $55.1m along with tuition of $222.1m and government funding of $293.6m. Administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 12% of total donations, as taken from the charity's T3010 filings. Total overhead costs come to 20%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. SFU has total funding reserves of $644.9m, including an endowment fund of $285.9m. Excluding donor-endowed funds, SFU's funding reserves can cover program costs for 9 months.

SFU's endowment fund per student comes to $14k per student. SFU's high operating cash flow of $94.5m was used to buy capital goods worth $71.3m.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 4th, 2016 by Mirza Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.4%8.4%9.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 11.5%13.0%10.8%
Program cost coverage (%) 131.6%115.2%99.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 55,10945,44050,126
Government funding 293,565294,179298,464
Fees for service 222,062215,291207,012
Business activities (net) 36,37433,42842,746
Investment income 37,37024,23017,800
Other income 7,6387,1777,847
Total revenues 652,118619,745623,995
Program costs 490,118483,677456,289
Administrative costs 51,87049,84957,181
Fundraising costs 6,3355,9035,422
Other costs 9,2799,3649,444
Cash flow from operations 94,51670,95295,659
Funding reserves 644,888557,288453,485
Note: SFU reports donations, including non-government grants and contracts that are not philanthropic, as is the accounting practice of BC’s universities. Ci included donations for endowments and investment income from endowments in its revenues calculation. SFU does not report administrative and fundraising costs on its audited financial statements. Ci took administrative and fundraising costs from the charity’s T3010 filings.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top