You may also like:
Rick Hansen Institute
A world without paralysis after spinal cord injury
Vancouver, BC

Rick Hansen Foundation

300-3820 Cessna Drive
Richmond, BC V7B 0A2
Board Chair: Lyall Knott
CEO: Rick Hansen

Charitable Reg. #: 10765 9427 RR0001
Sector: Social Services
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #41

Avg. Compensation $72,172

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 1
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 2
$160k - $200k 2
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Rick Hansen Foundation:

In 1985, Rick Hansen embarked on the Man in Motion World Tour to raise funds for spinal cord injury research and rehabilitation. He wheeled over 40,000 km, and raised $26m. After the tour, the Rick Hansen Foundation was created in 1988 to continue raising funds and awareness to create a world without barriers for people with disabilities.  The charity is focused on raising awareness, building  accessible  spaces, and improving medical treatments for  people with disabilities.  In F2015, the charity's program costs were $15.6m: $12.4m in  spinal cord research, $1.1m in accessibility solutions, $921k in school programs, $753k in awareness  campaigns, and $370k on staff wages and travel.  

Financial Review:

In F2015, the Rick Hansen Foundation's administrative costs were 8% of revenues, while fundraising costs were 86% of donations. Total overhead costs of 94% fall well outside of Ci's reasonable range.  Donations and special events revenue combined fell from $3.1m in F2013 to $1.7m in F2015, causing fundraising costs as a percentage of donations to increase from 57% to 86%.  The foundation has funding reserves of $14.8m, including donor-endowed funds of $103k. The funding reserve excluding donor-endowed funds can cover annual grants and programs for 11 months. 

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  the Rick Hansen Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.4%10.4%11.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 85.8%65.7%56.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 94.7%142.1%130.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 1,5321,6332,541
Goods in kind 43686
Government funding 12,9208,6229,684
Fees for service 210214280
Special events 17220570
Investment income 1,9131,6681,194
Total revenues 16,79012,22514,274
Program costs 15,58510,99612,346
Administrative costs 1,2451,1001,526
Fundraising costs 1,4621,0861,759
Cash flow from operations (1,502)(957)(1,357)
Funding reserves 14,76415,62916,081
Note: The financials of the Rick Hansen Leadership Group (RHLG) – a separate and distinct social enterprise – have not been consolidated into the foundation's financial statements.  

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top