Canadian Cancer Society

Suite 300 - 55 St Clair Avenue West
Toronto , ON M4V 2Y7
President & CEO: Lynne Hudson
Board Chair: Marc Genereux

Website: www.cancer.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11882 9803 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: A-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #1,069

Avg. Compensation $69,253

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 2
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 6
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2016

About Canadian Cancer Society:

Founded in 1938, Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) funds cancer research, influences government policy on cancer and provides information to prevent cancer and to support people with this disease. CCS estimates that there will be 196,900 people diagnosed with cancer this year. Its goals, as a result, are to raise survival rates and improve the quality of life of cancer victims.

NEWS: October 28, 2016, Canadian Cancer Society announced plans to merge with Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation effective February 2017. Lynne Hudson, formerly President and CEO of Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation becomes CSC's CEO and President effective immediately. Charity Intelligence has analysed this potential merger. The Ci opinion article is here:

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/news-and-views/ci-articles?id=213

Canadian Cancer Society runs the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute (CCSRI). CCSRI's research areas cover prevention, treatment and diagnosis. It reviews all funding applications and allocates funds. CCS allocated $42.8m to fund over 400 projects this year - 24% of total revenues went to cancer research grants. These research grants supported 862 scientists.

Canadian Cancer Society runs many programs on cancer awareness. There are multiple information sources on CCS's website, which 7 million people visited in the past year. The Smokers' Helpline service answered 55,000 telephone calls in 2015. The charity also gave out 1,500 print copies of a cancer literacy document.

CCS partnered with Statistics Canada to publish the Canadian Cancer Statistics Report 2015. Thanks to CCS's support, researchers produced 703 publications this year. These publications were used in 4 public policy documents and 11 healthcare guidelines. With global advances in medicine and treatment, today's cancer survival rates are 60% compared to 25% in the 1940s.

Financial Review:

Canadian Cancer Society is one of the Major 100 charities of Canada. In F2015, it received donations and special event revenue of $150.2m. Administrative costs are 13% of revenues and fundraising costs come to 37% of donations. Total overhead costs are 50%, above Ci's reasonable range. CCS has funding reserves of $136.9m of which $11.0m are donor-endowed. Excluding donor-endowed funds, CCS's funding reserves can cover 1.1 years of program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Canadian Cancer Society. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending January
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 13.2%11.3%11.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 37.1%31.8%33.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 122.1%127.5%121.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 83,34093,32594,430
Government funding 10,68111,98711,472
Lotteries (net) 7,2899,92610,959
Special events 66,80371,26075,399
Investment income 6,6794,5543,589
Other income 5,5403,3285,126
Total revenues 180,332194,380200,975
Program costs 69,34674,18578,957
Grants 42,75144,02144,469
Administrative costs 22,89221,49222,513
Fundraising costs 55,69552,41056,013
Cash flow from operations (10,352)2,272(977)
Funding reserves 136,908150,684150,502
Note: Ci reports Lotteries net of expenses, reducing revenues and expenses by $25.1m in F2015, $28.1m in F2014 and $27.3m in F2013.  Ci has shifted allocated administrative expenses away from programs, research and advocacy spending to report administrative expenses separately, as per Note 21. Ci also removed amortization from administrative and fundraising expenses.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top