United Way Ottawa

363 Coventry Road
Ottawa, ON K1K 2C5
President & CEO: Michael Allen
Board Chair: Frank Bilodeau

Website: www.unitedwayottawa.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 10816 0250 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Public Foundation

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #89

Avg. Compensation $58,739

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 5
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About United Way Ottawa:

Founded in 1933, United Way Ottawa (UWO) brings people and resources together to build a strong, healthy and safe community. UWO works with local charities and the government to support communities in Ottawa. It raises funds and invests these resources where they are needed the most and have the greatest impact. The charity donates to over 100 charities and operates in 107 neighborhoods of Ottawa. UWO claims to understand the needs of the community based on its research, consultation and analysis approach.

In F2016, United Way Ottawa allocated $7.8m to local charities and spent $3.5m on its programs. UWO gave $504k to Boys and Girls Club of Ottawa, $334k to Catholic Family Service Ottawa, $283k to Big Brothers Big Sisters Ottawa, $281k to Family Services a la famille Ottawa and $211k to World Skills Employment Centre. UWO supported 2,133 parents and young children in leadership development and educational activities. It gave employment support to 5,000 immigrants and 600 people with disabilities. In the past year, UWO donated $869k to refugees of the Syrian crisis, investing in 18 housing projects for Syrian refugees in Canada. 89 refugees were safely settled in Ottawa, thanks to UWO's funding. UWO also runs the Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign in all of the 101 government departments. This results in significant donor-designated donations that UWO collects and distributes to the charities of the donors' choices. Donor-designated donations are 45% of total donations.

United Way Ottawa states that its funding has allowed 90% of youth in temporary housing programs to find stable housing. Similarly, 63% of students who participated in a Summer Achievement Gap program report improved reading levels and 94 of children who attend regular homework clubs have shown better academic results.

Financial Review:

United Way Ottawa is one of Canada's Major 100 charities with donations of $26.3m in F2015. Donations are in a steady decline of 5%-6% year over year since 2014. Administration costs are 9% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 11% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 20% compared to 16% in F2014 as United Way Ottawa develops new fundraising initiatives. These overhead costs are within Ci's reasonable range. United Way Ottawa holds $9.1m in funding reserves that can cover 78% of its annual program costs.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by United Way of Ottawa. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 13th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201620152014
Administrative costs as % of revenues 9.4%10.6%9.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 10.6%8.4%6.6%
Program cost coverage (%) 81.3%77.1%88.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201620152014
Donations 26,25127,66029,350
Government funding 1,5591,3321,555
Special events 124154118
Investment income 112525144
Other income 2869660
Total revenues 28,33329,76731,228
Program costs 3,4743,3393,471
Grants 7,7708,4238,991
Donor-designated donations 11,77012,69213,201
Administrative costs 2,6473,1042,998
Fundraising costs 2,7982,3451,951
Cash flow from operations (126)(137)615
Funding reserves 9,1429,06911,062
Note: Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top