2258 Mountainside Drive
Burlington, ON L7P 1B7
Executive Director: Graham Hill
Board Chair: Paul Keery

Charitable Reg. #:89094 3772 RR0001


Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

Unlock Charity Ratings



Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity’s website.



Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.



The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.


Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.



For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 93 cents are available for programs.

My anchor


About Food for Life Canada:

Founded in 1995, Food for Life Canada (FFL) is a food bank that focuses on redistributing fresh and nutritious foods to local agencies and residents in the region of Halton. FFL collects unsold and unused perishable food from grocery stores and restaurants. It aims to source three primary categories of food: produce, meat, and dairy, which tend to be the most expensive to buy. According to a recent study, about 60% of food produced in Canada goes to waste. In F2020, the charity provided food to 121 programs across Burlington, Oakville, Hamilton, Milton, Georgetown, and Acton. In F2020, Food for Life distributed $8.1m worth of donated food. FFL distributed 73,892 weekly food bags in F2020.

Food for Life operates local programs such as pop-up food banks and distribution onsite at churches and community centers. FFL’s 15 youth programs work in collaboration with agencies, including Boys and Girls Clubs and Frontline Outreach. It supports 1,612 youth each week who have reduced access to healthy food.

My anchor

Results and Impact

Since 1995, Food for Life Canada has rescued over 38 million pounds of food from landfills. FFL states that it has diverted over 51 million kg of greenhouse gas since 1995. The charity reports that every $1 donated to FFL is equal to eight meals.

Charity Intelligence has rated Food for Life as Fair impact based on demonstrated impact per dollar.

Impact Rating: Fair

My anchor


Food for Life Canada received monetary donations and government funding of $2.3m in F2020. It received donated food worth $8.9m in F2020. Administrative costs were 1% of total revenues and fundraising costs were 6% of donations. This resulted in overhead spending of 7%. For every dollar donated to the charity, 93 cents go towards its programs, which is within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending.

Food for Life has total funding reserves of $891k. Excluding the cost of donated food, the food bank’s funding reserves can cover annual program costs for about 8 months.

Charity Intelligence has sent this update to Food for Life Canada for review. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated May 31, 2021, by Shira Wine.

Financial Review

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending September
Administrative costs as % of revenues 0.6%0.3%0.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 6.2%6.6%5.9%
Total overhead spending 6.9%6.9%6.3%
Program cost coverage (%) 65.8%62.0%42.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 1,990984841
Goods in kind 8,9479,6639,390
Government funding 265170162
Other income 130497
Total revenues 11,33210,86610,399
Program costs 1,354891842
Donated goods exp 8,9479,6639,390
Administrative costs 733539
Fundraising costs 1246550
Other costs 500
Total spending 10,50310,65410,320
Cash flow from operations 82821279
Capital spending 66319301
Funding reserves 891552361

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 16

Avg. compensation: $39,566

Top 10 staff salary range:

$350k +
$300k - $350k
$250k - $300k
$200k - $250k
$160k - $200k
$120k - $160k
$80k - $120k
$40k - $80k
< $40k

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2020

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by the charity.

Charity Contact

Website: www.foodforlife.ca
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Tel: 905-635-1106


Charity Intelligence researches Canadian charities for donors to be informed and give intelligently. Our website posts free reports on more than 800 Canadian charities, as well as in-depth primers on philanthropic sectors like Canada’s environment, cancer, and homelessness. Today over 360,000 Canadians use our website as a go-to source for information on Canadian charities reading over 1.3 million charity reports. Through rigorous and independent research, Charity Intelligence aims to assist Canada’s dynamic charitable sector in being more transparent, accountable and focused on results.


Be Informed. Give Intelligently. Have Impact


Charitable Registration Number: 80340 7956 RR0001