SOS Children's Villages Canada

Unit 240 - 44 ByWard Market Square
Ottawa, ON K1N 7A2
President & CEO: Boyd McBride
Board Chair: Rick Evans

Charitable Reg. #: 13824 7259 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #12

Avg. Compensation $72,167

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About SOS Children's Villages Canada:

Founded in 1949, SOS Children's Villages Canada (SCVC) is a member of SOS Children's Villages International. It raises funds in Canada and sends them to SOS Children's Villages International. The international division supports orphaned and poor children by establishing 'villages' where the charity constructs 10-15 houses per villages and women, trained by SCVC, take care of 5-10 children in each house. SCVC funds villages in Africa, Latin America, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. It also funds disaster relief efforts. The charity states that, around the world, 87.6 million are in need of humanitarian assistance and 30 million children have fled their houses due to violence.

In F2015, SOS Children's Villages Canada allocated $3.7m to SOS Children's Villages International. It sent money to emergency response programs in 18 countries, helping 800,000 people. SCVC funds mobilized resources in the Middle East to respond to the Syrian refugee crisis. In Syria, Interim Care Centres are caring for 140 children and child services are protecting 6,098 youth. Interim Care Centres in Lebanon are supporting 250 children. In addition to providing shelter, SCVC is promoting education and training for poor children in disaster-affected countries. SCVC reports that, since its formation, it has given safe and stable homes to 75,000 children in 134 countries through 550 villages.

Financial Review:

SOS Children's Villages Canada is a Mid-Cap charity, which received donations of $6.2m in F2015. Administrative costs are 6% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 31% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 37%, falling within Ci's reasonable range although F2014 overhead costs of 47% were above the reasonable range. SCVC has total funding reserves of $3.2m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 10 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 13th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 6.2%9.2%13.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 30.5%37.8%23.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 88.4%103.9%115.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 6,1875,1413,706
Investment income 413850
Other income 1941840
Total revenues 6,4225,3623,755
Grants 3,6533,0082,362
Administrative costs 398487515
Fundraising costs 1,8871,944870
Cash flow from operations 483(77)8
Funding reserves 3,2293,1252,736
Note: Ci has included changes in deferred revenues in its calculation, increasing donations by $582k in F2015, nil in F2014 and nil in F2013. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top