Breast Cancer Society of Canada

420 East Street
North Sarnia, ON N7T 6Y5
CEO: Kimberly Carson
President: Ann Smith

Website: www.bcsc.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 13796 9861 RR0001
Sector: Health - Cancer
Public Foundation

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Most recent audited financial statements available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #7

Avg. Compensation $46,748

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 6
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Breast Cancer Society of Canada:

Since 1993, Breast Cancer Society of Canada (BCSC) has been funding breast cancer research and raising awareness for breast cancer in Canada. BCSC aims to improve the prevention, detection and treatment of breast cancer. The charity reports that 1 in every 9 women is expected to be diagnosed with breast cancer. It further states that, every day, 14 Canadian women will die of this disease. BCSC supports early-stage research to help scientists gather data and apply for federal funding (seed funding). It also funds translation research projects that turn laboratory research into new diagnostics and treatments.

In F2015, Breast Cancer Society of Canada distributed $1.1m in research grants. BCSC gave out $500k to London Health Sciences Foundation, $300k to Queen Elizabeth II Foundation, $200k to Sunnybrook Foundation, $70k to Canadian Institute of Health Research and $10k to Canadian Cancer Research Alliance Conference. It spent $1k on breast cancer awareness programs in F2015. Researchers at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, funded by Breast Cancer Society of Canada, found a new treatment for tumors that increases the sensitivity of tumors to radiation by 20-40%.

Financial Review:

Breast Cancer Society of Canada is a Small-Cap charity as it received donations and special event revenue of $1.9m in F2015. Administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 31% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 39%, which is in the upper end of Ci's reasonable range. BCSC has funding reserves of $1.2m that can cover program costs for 1.1 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 27th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.4%5.4%8.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 31.0%25.9%27.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 113.2%101.3%67.0%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 344,222368,258429,816
Special events 1,588,3991,707,0541,345,941
Investment income 31,13126,56316,073
Total revenues 1,963,7522,101,8751,791,830
Program costs 8413,5541,417
Grants 1,059,0361,132,3961,136,226
Administrative costs 162,981111,041158,176
Fundraising costs 599,947536,830486,746
Cash flow from operations 140,947318,0549,265
Funding reserves 1,199,8221,150,484762,667
Note: Ci excluded amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Comments added by the Charity:

The charity added in 2014:

Inspired by one family’s search for a cure, the Breast Cancer Society of Canada’s mission is to engage in grassroots fundraising that supports patient focused research for diagnosis, treatment and prevention.  We are not the only organization funding cancer research, however, our focus and method is quite unique.  Rather than looking for specific research projects and researchers, we seek out high calibre research teams that are located in cancer treatment centers, close to the patients. We offer them managed grants to advance research projects into the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of breast cancer.  Each team has the same dream –  working together to improve the quality of life for all breast cancer patients. This team approach fosters creativity and collaboration between institutions and medical experts.   As these teams are located in cancer treatment centers there is a closer connection to the needs of the patients; researchers and clinicians work hand in hand. After all, if research does not help the patient what is the point? Our research grants are used in a variety of ways, customized by the individual team for maximum impact at their center.   The Breast Cancer Society of Canada has been doing this type of research funding since 1993. It is our hope we will be able to continue this work until breast cancer is eliminated entirely.

 

For more information please visit www.bcsc.ca.

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top