Hope Air

Suite 207, 124 Merton Street
Toronto, ON M4S 2Z2
Board Chair: Jim Burton
Executive Director: Douglas Keller-Hobson

Website: www.hopeair.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 11904 2299 RR0001
Sector: Social Services
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #9

Avg. Compensation $63,587

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 4
< $40k 3
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Hope Air:

Hope Air is the only national charity that provides free flights to people who cannot afford the cost of airfare to access specialized medical care outside their local area. Since 1986, Hope Air has provided over 100k flights to low-income Canadians. According to the charity's survey, 23% of its clients would choose not to go to their medical appointments without Hope Air's assistance. In F2015, Hope Air arranged 11,212 flights for clients in need, a 28% increase from the 8,746 flights provided in F2014. The illness categories of clients in F2015 were 24% cancer, 10% musculoskeletal disorders, 8% nervous system disorders, 7% cardiovascular disorders, 6% gastrointestinal disorders, 5% injury, 3% kidney/bladder disorders, 3% eye disorders, 3% genetic disorders, 3% organ transplant, 3% mental health, and 25% other.

Financial Review:

Hope Air spent 4% of revenues on administrative costs and fundraising costs were 8% of donations in F2015. Total overhead costs of 12% lie within Ci's reasonable range. Fundraising and administrative costs come from the charity's T3010 CRA filing as they are not reported separately on the audited financial statements. The charity has funding reserves of $1.4m, which can cover annual programs for 6 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by Hope Air.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 3.5%5.8%5.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 8.5%8.6%8.7%
Program cost coverage (%) 55.6%50.8%84.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 2,971,8172,401,0312,033,102
Government funding 61,64972,40094,151
Investment income 5,34015,33512,029
Total revenues 3,038,8062,488,7662,139,282
Program costs 2,567,6752,052,8591,763,875
Administrative costs 107,242143,436115,598
Fundraising costs 252,495207,395177,760
Cash flow from operations 111,39485,07682,049
Funding reserves 1,428,5281,041,9911,494,413

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top