Sleeping Children Around the World

28 Pinehurst Crescent
Toronto, ON M9A 3A5
Executive Director: Linda Webb
Board Chair: Dave Dryden

Website: www.scaw.org
Charitable Reg. #: 13163 4396 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Social Results Reporting

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Program Cost Coverage

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Full-time staff #1

Avg. Compensation $49,001

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Sleeping Children Around the World:

Founded in 1970, Sleeping Children Around the World (SCAW) provides bed-kits to children in developing countries, regardless of race and/or religion. Each kit consists of a mattress, pillow, blanket, mosquito net, clothes and school supplies. The contents of the kit vary from country to country. SCAW states that it does not undertake any marketing efforts nor receive any government funding. However, the charity incurred fundraising expenses of $29k.

In F2015, Sleeping Children Around the World spent $2.1m on purchasing and distributing bed-kits. SCAW claims that each bed-kit costs $3, and the entire amount goes towards purchasing bed-kits. SCAW is entirely volunteer run and has partnered with volunteers from 12 organizations in over 10 countries to distribute the bed-kits. In F2015, it distributed 57,256 bed-kits in India, Kenya, Nicaragua, Philippines, Uganda, Togo, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Honduras and Bangladesh. To date, Sleeping Children Around the World has given bed-kits to over 1.4 million children across the globe.

Financial Review:

Sleeping Children Around the World is a Small-Cap charity, which received donations of $2.3m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 1% of total donations. Total overhead costs are 5%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. SCAW has total funding reserves of $4.1m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 2 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by SCAW. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated June 13th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending February
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.1%4.8%3.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 1.3%0.6%0.8%
Program cost coverage (%) 200.8%151.9%196.3%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 2,288,2562,163,3142,383,376
Business activities (net) 2,3262,1291,392
Investment income 100,243115,663127,088
Total revenues 2,390,8252,281,1062,511,856
Program costs 2,050,7492,567,0042,212,882
Administrative costs 93,147104,29493,643
Fundraising costs 28,88913,35319,530
Cash flow from operations 218,040(403,545)185,801
Funding reserves 4,117,4743,899,2924,343,342
Note: Ci has adjusted expenses for Foreign Exchange losses and HST refunds, including them in its expenses calculations.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Visitor Survey

Do you like our website? We need your help.

Please click here to fill out a short (less than 5 minutes) survey

Go to top