Stephen Lewis Foundation
Toronto, ON M5T 2E4
Executive Director: Ilana Landsberg-Lewis
Board Chair: Stephen Lewis
Charitable Reg. #: 89635 4008 RR0001
Social Results Reporting
Grade: B+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Program Cost Coverage
Full-time staff #33
Avg. Compensation $65,504
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||3|
|$40k - $80k||6|
About Stephen Lewis Foundation:
Founded in 2003, Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF) supports community-based organizations fighting HIV and AIDS in Africa. Since its start, SLF has worked with 300 such organizations, funding more than 1,100 initiatives to tackle the AIDS and HIV problem. SLF reports that last year 1.2 million died of AIDS and 1.4 million people contracted HIV infections. The charity particularly supports grandmothers, women and orphans, since SLF believes they are the worst victims of AIDS and HIV. SLF calculates there are approximately 10 million orphans of AIDS in Africa are cared for by their grandmothers, who are often unemployed and widowed.
SLF's partnerships focus on 5 areas: home-based healthcare, positive living, sexual violence and HIV/AIDS, children affected by aids and grandmothers caring for orphaned children. Among many goals, SLF works with its community partners to get people tested for HIV and accessing treatment, to enroll orphans in school, and help grandmothers feed their families. In 2015 SLF reported it will be releasing its new impact results within a year.
In F2015, Stephen Lewis Foundation spent $3.1m on grandmothers programs, $1.6m on orphan support, $0.7m on women support and $1.1m on other AIDS and HIV victims programs. It used a further $1.6m on developing and monitoring these programs. Organizations, supported by SLF, ran clinics and counselling sessions for grandmothers in Africa. These clinics provided care to 824 grandmothers in F2015. Another charity runs a soup kitchen in Zimbabwe that feeds 265 children daily. Through another SLF initiative, grandmothers havestarted 11 savings groups on their own. These women pool their savings and invest with banks. They then split all profits equally.
Stephen Lewis Foundation is a Big-Cap charity, which received donations of $10.5m in F2015. Administrative costs are 9% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 11% costs of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 20%, falling within Ci's reasonable range. SLF has total funding reserves of $4.3m that can cover the charity's annual program costs for 6.5 months. Excluding donor-endowed funds of $195k, funding reserves can cover annual program costs for 6 months.
Updated June 14th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir. Edits received by SLF made by Kate Bahen Sept 13, 2016.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending June
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||8.6%||9.3%||9.1%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||11.1%||11.1%||10.5%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||54.0%||47.4%||47.2%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Program costs - International||7,091||7,301||7,842|
|Program costs - Canada||993||1,037||956|
|Cash flow from operations||413||(183)||(364)|