Distress Centres of Toronto

Box 243, Adelaide P.O.
Toronto, ON M5C 2J4
Executive Director: Karen Letofsky
Board Chair: Helen Dixon

Website: www.torontodistresscentre.com
Charitable Reg. #: 10702 1016 RR0001
Sector: Social Services
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Donor Accountability

Grade: A+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #11

Avg. Compensation $64,354

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 8
< $40k 1
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Distress Centres of Toronto:

Founded in 1967, Distress Centres of Toronto offers 24-hour telephone support, 365 days a year for crisis intervention and suicide prevention.    The charity also provides face-to-face support and counseling to people dealing with the effects of suicide and homicide.  In F2015, the charity's distress centres responded to 87,524 calls, of which  60%  were received when other agencies have shut down for the night or weekend.  Caller concerns include: 35% physical health, 22% occupational or financial distress, 17% violence or abuse, 9% suicide, 8% substance abuse or addictions, and 9% unidentified issues.  The charity depends on volunteers to run telephone support around the clock, and the charity had 500 direct service volunteers in F2015, of which 187 newly graduated into the phone room that year.

In 2011, the charity, in partnership with the TTC and Bell Canada, launched Crisis Link,  the first and only worldwide initiative to help prevent subway suicides.  In F2015, 156 Crisis Link calls were processed, which is a 13% increase from F2014.  of the 156 calls in F2015, 97% were de-escalated without TTC intervention.

Financial Review:

Distress Centres of Toronto is a small, local charity. In F2015, Distress Centres of Toronto's administrative costs were 7% of revenues, while fundraising costs were 7% of donations. Total overhead costs of 14% fall within Ci's reasonable range. For every dollar donated, 86 cents goes to the cause. DCT has funding reserves of $339k, which can cover annual programs for 4 months. 

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by Distress Centres of Toronto.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 7.4%7.6%7.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 6.6%7.1%8.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 31.8%38.8%44.8%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 789,627726,115727,877
Government funding 111,605109,300106,935
Special events 241,128265,109339,876
Investment income 5,85310,4119,571
Total revenues 1,148,2131,110,9351,184,259
Program costs 1,068,403995,606977,160
Administrative costs 83,92983,65583,325
Fundraising costs 67,54369,91285,925
Cash flow from operations (71,662)(38,238)37,849
Funding reserves 339,394385,883437,550
Note: Ci included postage, promotion, and publicity expenses as part of fundraising costs.  Ci used compensation information from the charity's F2014 T3010 CRA filing as the charity's F2015 T3010 filing was not available when the profile was created.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top